help with reprofile svord peasant

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tenderfoot

Nomad
May 17, 2008
north west uk
I just bought a wood handled svord peasant. I like it a lot and would like to use it as my ever day carry.However measurement tells me that it is a bit too big. (blade length approx 3" and edge length approx. 3 1/4". I have seen posts of people regrinding to achieve compliance.
Is there anyone on the forum who has the skills to do this and would be willing to do so? I would of course absorb all costs,I am happy to pay a reasonable fee for the work.I could send by post or possibly bring to a workshop if anyone is based in the vicinity of Manchester. I would attempt it myself but am pretty kak handed at that kind of thing and dont want to ruin the knife as though it was inexpensive, its already a favourite.

tenderfoot

Nomad
May 17, 2008
north west uk
Well folks I have been cutting out some paper templates to see what my blade might be like if reprofiled and it has left me with some questions.
To be completely sure of achieving a legal everyday carry I have considered a grind which shortens the length of the blade as measured from point(tip) to the pivot point.This is quite a significant shortening when you look at it. Im not sure if that is the legal definition of the "blade length" but some sources suggest it is so to be sure it would maybe be bestfor legality but least for residual function.
I have considered just going for a shortening to just sub 3" from where the blade leaves the handle when in the open position.Some suggest this would make it compliant. Who to believe?
It is possible though to lose this length tip to handle in a straight line and still have a cutting edge as measured round the curve which is greater than 3" and so fall foul of the law again?
Its beginning to look as if I may have to compromise to get a useable blade and of course the law doesnt compromise.
Anyone got any thoughts? Anyone done this themselves?If so what route did you go down and why?

Last edited:

tenderfoot

Nomad
May 17, 2008
north west uk
the LAW says Cutting edge length so the curve of the actual sharp bit

i have seen one done where a choil is ground out as a finger groove and the Tip end is left the same so reducing the cutting edge from the back end
http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92346&highlight=svord+peasant

http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86152&highlight=svord+peasant

ATB

Duncan

Wow! great link Im not exactly the first to think of this then....
I had not looked on british blades cos its a banned category on the work system
I love the idea of the choil finger rest. Maybe without reprofiling the wood
Would you be able to do that? otherwise i think i will go with a drop point.
Am posting this rather than pming cos others seem to be looking at this thread

Wow! great link Im not exactly the first to think of this then....
I had not looked on british blades cos its a banned category on the work system
I love the idea of the choil finger rest. Maybe without reprofiling the wood
Would you be able to do that? otherwise i think i will go with a drop point.
Am posting this rather than pming cos others seem to be looking at this thread

cant see why not :D got 3 plastic ones here now, i will get round to doing something eventually with :eek::rolleyes: trying to decide what to do with the handle

ATB

Duncan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE