Help with NI patrol pack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

unit392

Mar 16, 2015
Central Europe
Hi guys,
I'm in need of some information about the British NI patrol pack. First, is there any difference regarding the size between the older DPM and the newer MTP version? Second, I want to buy a backpack that I can fit a 30*25*40 cm (width*depth*height) fencing headgear into. I've sent enquiries to some surplus stores, but didn't get much useful info. So, if anyone here happens to have a NI pack, I's be grateful if you could give me the exact dimensions of the main compartment.

Thanks a lot!

Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
I have just measured my old DPM NI patrol pack and I could easily fit a rigid rectangular box 43 x 26 x 18 into mine ( I realise that is smaller than you said) obviously with an irregular shape there would be wriggle room....have you looked at the Polish 40 litre puma camo rucksacks I would think one of those would be perfect for fencing gear If my memory serves me right from the odd occasion I fenced at school....you can normally pick them up for under a tenner on eBay and they are actually pretty good bags.

D.B.

unit392

Mar 16, 2015
Central Europe
That's what I was afraid of, that it would be just a bit too small in one dimension. Anyway, thanks for the help, I checked out the Polish bag, might give it a try, but: I was looking around on some stores' websites, and found other packs which potentially be good for me, one is the Other arms (aka. Engineer) Bergen, the other is the MTP 45 l patrol pack. My question for both is what is your opinion about them as day packs (too small, too big, etc.), and I'd also like to know the exact dimensions (width*depth*height) for the 45 l one (found them for the engineer on a website).

Again, many thanks for the help!

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
As far as i know the old NI pack was never made in mtp, these are reproductions and probably wont measure up quality wise. The new issues mtp daysack is based on a karrimor design and is very good in mu opinion.

Tonyuk

Philster

Settler
Jun 8, 2014
Poole, Dorset
Unit - might be worth going to a local army surplus shop with your headgear. Then you can try fitting it in the various bags and you will know for sure?

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
As far as i know the old NI pack was never made in mtp, these are reproductions and probably wont measure up quality wise. The new issues mtp daysack is based on a karrimor design and is very good in mu opinion.

Tonyuk

Kombat do a good reproduction in olive, the mtp version has NI Pack on the base. I once had the chance to swap issue dpm for issue OG in Palace Bks, i wish i had done so :confused:

unit392

Mar 16, 2015
Central Europe
Hello,
thank you all for your help and information, it has been really useful. Looks like the 45 l pack may be good, so I'll try to check one out personally.

Feb 18, 2012
Wales
There are versions of the NI pack made in MTP - but none are issued to my knowledge.

I've seen good quality ones, with external straps for molle attachments.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Does it have to be a rucksack? I think the best fit (from military surplus) for headgear would be a pilot's helmet bag

http://www.qmuniforms.com/photos/styles/BG155_500_1.JPG

BG155_500_1.JPG

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE