Help with knot

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Help please. I like to have a short fob/lanyard on the end of my knife handles to get them out of the deep sheaths I have. I try to tie what could best be described as a hangman's knot with the noose through the lanyard hole in the handle of the knife with one end of the thong then wrapped six or seven times over the other then pushed through. Problem is it's a slipknot! I think there is a way to lock off this knot. Can anyone kindly point me to a tutorial how to do it?

Thanks in advance
NS

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Try here...

Right Handed

Left Handed

If you want to lock the loop so that it doesn't close, extend the loop, tie a knot at the point you want and then pull it tight again (one of the working ends will need to be quite long though).

:)

Last edited:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Is this the one you mean?
I use one everynow and then for extra security when choking up in the wet and it's removeable as I got an extra large lanyard tube to allow multiple strands. Have no idea what the knot is called, but it's like a locked off hangmans noose. It's perfect for getting the length perfect before you lock it permanently.

02Jan2011.jpg

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
unless i'm mistaken the links that sandbender put up to the Chris Reeves knot are showing a hangmans noose, well that's what i was taught as a hangmans noose anyway. although it is a slipknot you should be able to make it all plenty tight enough that it won't slip undone, if you're using paracord then melting the ends once the knot is finished can help to secure the knot in place too. if they're going to be permanent "fobs" then you can always use a bit of superglue to lock everything into place.

stuart

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
The knots in the links don't seem to lock off. Is the solution as easy as tying a knot in one end (doh)?

Thanks

All you need to do is feed the the sliding part of the lanyard (D) through the finishing loop to lock it off If you do it the opposite side to how you finish the wrapping cord it ought to be nice and neat. If all that makes sense LOL

lanyardknot.jpg

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE