Help with coffe pot id

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
I managed to liberate this from a clearout the mother in law was having.
I think its great and begging to be taken on camping trips, for use on a wire grill over a fire, or tepee stove. Take its some kind of coffee pot?
Just wondered if it had a particular name or use and when it would have been used in the past.

I think its copper and seems well made, rather than an ornamental object.
Was going to clean it up. Whats the best way to get all those layers of brasso out from inside?

Cheers for any help. :)

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Just did a quick search for "copper coffee pot" (on Google images) and I think it looks quite similar to this (it has an optional bail handle):
coffee_pot.jpg

I found it here
http://www.cobbcreek.com
you could contact these guys and see what they say.

If it were mine I'd use some very fine grade wire wool would take off the layer and other contaminants and would help remove any deep scratches, it at the same time

you could even try a scouring pad with soap.

another idea covering it vinegar for a few hours would dissolve the outer oxidisation"rust" and make it more shiny and copper coloured.

I'd clean the outside too though!

and try it on the cooker at home before on a fire so you can see if it has leaks and how hot the handle gets!!!!:yikes:

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Whats the best way to get all those layers of brasso out from inside?

Try good old household vinegar and an old toothbrush. apply Vinegar to surface, allow to soak in a bit. Agitate with old toothbrush repeat as often as required.

Rinse well with boiling water to remove old crud....

Works for me.....

Cheers

John

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Cheers for the info guys, a good old scrub it is then, good to get it shiny again, even if its for a short while before the fire does its thing. Bail arm mod could be a good thing too.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have to admit it looks awfully like the silver plated hot water jugs that waitresses used to come round posh tearooms with to refill teapots.
Usually brass or copper, tinned inside so that the water was potable.

Maybe have a 'really' good look at the soldered seams before it goes on a fire.

Excellent looking pot though, hope it works, it really kind of says, coffee me, doesn't it ?

cheers,
Toddy

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Nice.It would look brilliant all shined up.Is it tinned on the inside?Also be aware that old soldering on these type of things was done with lead solder.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE