Help with coastal foraging scotland

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

faydowntown

Apr 9, 2020
GB
Does anyone know anything about coastal foraging and which beaches are okay to eat shellfish in Scotland (I'm near falkirk)? Are there any groups or people I can tag along with to learn (obv when lock down is over). I've been watching a lot of YouTube videos but can't find much about Scottish beaches. Any help or pointers is really appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Welcome to the forum.
Most beaches/coastal areas have foragable foods.
There's an old saying about eating shellfish only in months with an R in them so May till the end of August is out. There is good reasons for this, algal blooms and toxins are more prevelant in those months, also it's spawning season.

Reactions: faydowntown

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Hi and welcome. Most of my best coastal foraging in Scotland (actually in the UK) has been on the west coast, in particular on the islands and the Ardnamurchan peninsula. The waters there are crystal clear and fish and shellfish have been plentiful at times.

I would download a copy of 'Eat the Beach' by Fraser Christian (he can occasionally be found on the forum) and/or get a copy of the River Cottage Edible Seashore book. The latter doesn't cover fishing but does include molluscs, crustaceans, plants and seaweeds. Frazer includes fishing.

I probably wouldn't favour the Firth of Forth for coastal foraging because of the influence places like Edinburgh could have on the water quality. That may be unfair but I'd certainly check the official water quality statements. The East coast north of Dundee has some excellent places. I've spent a little time up there but not enough.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
I second Brochs words, especially about the Ardnamurchan Penninsular. The water really is crystal clear and theres enough for a hearty meal if you dont mind very very cold toes as the water is quite brisk. I free dived for crab and lobster last time I was up there and even in my 7mm suit I was numb, having to get out of the water every half hour for a run up and down the beach. It was all worth it though, 3hrs diving for a single large crab, which I cooked on coals later that evening.

Mussels are plentiful and of a really big size if you wait for the lowest tides. Unfortunately for me I'm allergic to them or I could of gorged on hundreds.......

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Reactions: faydowntown

Wiltie

Oct 22, 2022
Peterhead
Hi everyone, looking for some tips where to go beach foraging North East Scotland in the Peterhead to Buckie coast line as would love to find mussels, cockles and razor clams

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE