Coastal foraging

• Hey Guest, We've had to cancel our 2020 Summer BushMoot PLEASE LOOK HERE for more information.

faydowntown

Apr 9, 2020
GB
Can anyone recommend any books, resources or groups for learning coastal foraging in mainly Scotland?

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Broch

Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
Can anyone recommend any books, resources or groups for learning coastal foraging in mainly Scotland?

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using Tapatalk
I've copied my response to your other post here :)

<
Hi and welcome. Most of my best coastal foraging in Scotland (actually in the UK) has been on the west coast, in particular on the islands and the Ardnamurchan peninsula. The waters there are crystal clear and fish and shellfish have been plentiful at times.

I would download a copy of 'Eat the Beach' by Fraser Christian (he can occasionally be found on the forum) and/or get a copy of the River Cottage Edible Seashore book. The latter doesn't cover fishing but does include molluscs, crustaceans, plants and seaweeds. Frazer includes fishing.

I probably wouldn't favour the Firth of Forth for coastal foraging because of the influence places like Edinburgh could have on the water quality. That may be unfair but I'd certainly check the official water quality statements. The East coast north of Dundee has some excellent places. I've spent a little time up there but not enough.
>

Reactions: Toddy and TeeDee

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hello :) and welcome.

The Handbook of Scotland's Wild Harvests,

and mind that so long as the water is clean, and the red tide isn't there, then there are no poisonous seaweeds, and those seaweeds not only add taste and texture but are mineral rich food too.