Help With Building Log Cabin

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge

Thanks. Very inspirational:

Dear Woodland Trust

SPARETREE FOREST - NORTH DOWNS LOG CABIN OPERATIONS

Further to our telephone conversation I herein confirm my intention to harvest suitably proportioned timber from the above site as may prove necessary in the construction of a garden log cabin. I enclose a copy of my chainsaw and quad bike operators competence certificates for your records.

Please ensure that the forest is closed to the public on 01/04/09 and that I am furnished with all keys as may be required to extract felled timber by lorry.

Clearly I may need to return for further examples of suitably ancient Corsican Pine once the structure takes shape and the true extent of my need becomes apparent.

You may wish to undertake stump removal at some future date - an operation I see no reason to object to unless it conflicts with my final site visit to harvest suitably ancient burrs for purely ornamental purposes.

Cheers!

K

Boston973

Feb 3, 2009
Mass
Get yourself a copy of 'Alone in the Wilderness', lots of inspiration to be found in there. The scene where Dick Proenneke constructs a 'dutch' door for his cabin and then fashions a wooden 'bear proof' lock is fabulous.

Info and links here...

http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/dick-proenneke

Additionally, if you step back from the log cabin idea you may find some useful literature on building a decent shed here...

http://www.green-shopping.co.uk/books/book_pages/ecological_architecture_a.html

:)

Thats the first thing that came to my mind as well. You can watch most of the alone in the wilderness documentary on youtube. He builds himself a fine cabin. Almost makes it look easy till you get a shot at the size of the guys arms. If you or someone you know is handy on a computer then you can dowload the whole movie on a few diffrent sites.

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
Im just wondering how the plans are proceeding and again another offer of help.
I would love to help out with log style cabins, wattle and daub, cob or timber frame, or if one story a bale building. Like many ive read a lot about several techniques but have not the circumstance to get hands on with it!

:)

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
What do the planning department think of 'alternative' type houses?
Got a feeling some of the pic's posted Robin may have planning issues?!
D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE