Help with a Bird ID

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'm happy to see we have a new pair of raptors nesting on the farm. They are appreciably larger than our resident buzzards pairs

I'm fairly sure of my identification but I would welcome confirmation - I've yet to get a good picture but there is a feature on this photo that tells me it is what I hope it to be....

Can anyone confirm what this is?

515944624_e36db43b4c.jpg

An exited Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'm pretty certain you are right Fred

Having them nesting here is an enormous privilege!

I first saw them 30 foot up circling the cottage. How lucky am I to see that walking out the front door. They pass over each day now several times but by the time I spot them and grab the camera its generally too late.

Between them and the peregrines of which there are at least 2 pairs now (not to mention numerous buzzards and sparrowhawks and kessies) I am a happy man!

Red

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
Yep, I think so too. I had one fly over me about 12 years ago - in Suffolk, first one I'd seen. I remember that there were some distinct dark bars/tips on the wings, these really stood out as it glided above me.
Did you notice any dark sections on the wing?

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
You really are lucky Red. They have been here where I live but just passing through it seems. I have to travel nearly 100 miles if I want to be sure of seeing one. Look forward to the close-ups!!:D

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
From all my books they are Red Kites without doubt - the wing bandings (they only just cleared the cottage roof) were very different to the buzzards (who perch on my TV arial). The forked tail is very distinctive.

The really odd part is we seem to have three. I have seen the pair many times but a third (never four) seems to join them occasionally - I suspect a competing male but thats jsut guesswork. I didn't know they nested near here - the nearest I have seen them is near Andover. I'm delighted!

Red

Aragorn

Settler
Aug 20, 2006
Wrexham, North Wales
not meaning to hijack your post red, but i'v been unable to see any of your pics for the last few posts, i thought at first it was due to the new forum etc, but judging by the replies other members are not affected, i don't think i get this problem with anyone else's post as i can usually see the pics, can you shed any light on it, i use to enjoy seeing the photos you took but am now missing out :(

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Red Kite :D called a Gled in the North because of their habit of gliding across the sky.
They seem to like the company of each other, and used to live and fly in great numbers.
I watched them every day last week and they are beautiful, just beautiful.

Cheers,
Toddy

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thanks Toddy :). I was fairly sure. I spent some time recently with the guys who were re-introducing them back down here. Mr Pickett will be delighted - he has been looking for nightjars for a while (whereas I lean out the window at 3am and tell em to "shuddup"). I'll have to invite him over to see the kites as well (when Stuart finishes my knife ;)so we can settle our differences - in the nicest possible way)!

Red

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Thanks Toddy :). I was fairly sure. I spent some time recently with the guys who were re-introducing them back down here. Mr Pickett will be delighted - he has been looking for nightjars for a while (whereas I lean out the window at 3am and tell em to "shuddup"). I'll have to invite him over to see the kites as well (when Stuart finishes my knife ;)so we can settle our differences - in the nicest possible way)!

Red

I am delighted Red....Lovely birds... Saw 9 of them together above the motorway near reading, not that long ago. I am still waiting to hear my first nightjar of the year, they seem to of abandoned the local forest here, the cleared areas that they like, have grown up some now...
I am ready for out little cut off.....

Apr 14, 2006
Jurassic Coast
I am delighted Red....Lovely birds... Saw 9 of them together above the motorway near reading, not that long ago. I am still waiting to hear my first nightjar of the year, they seem to of abandoned the local forest here, the cleared areas that they like, have grown up some now...

Yeah I spotted one near there too in March and posted here to get i.d.

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20198

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
I forgot how unusual these were after living in Aberystwyth. I used to see them nearly every day up there you didn't have to go far to spot loads of them.

I would agree with your ID, I am by no means an expert, but the outline looks right!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'm hoping stu will get it back in the coming week mate so we'll sort something as soon as I have it!

There am baby Roe deer in them thar woods too!

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE