Help Please - Sharpening

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jtbutcher

Jan 18, 2011
Warwickshire, UK
I have had a go at sharpening this:

nFerb.jpg

Using a diamond sharpening block, it now has an edge that is sharp but its messy and uneven and I'm worried about making a further mess.

qdhCj.jpg

I am especially having problems round the tip, does anyone have any advice plese.

Raybennett

Banned
Mar 16, 2010
Biddulph staffs
Main thing I can see where your going wrong is not maintaining the angle all the way up the edge mate. Concentrate on that and let the stone do the work don't push to hard. Also although I could be wrong but it looks like you've changed the angle of the last bevel. Lie the blade flat and lift it till you feel the edge flat and maintain that angle both sides. Do one or two strokes then look to see if the burr is at the right angle you want. Hope this helps. I'm sure you'll get better advice here. Good luck

jtbutcher

Jan 18, 2011
Warwickshire, UK
Main thing I can see where your going wrong is not maintaining the angle all the way up the edge mate. Concentrate on that and let the stone do the work don't push to hard. Also although I could be wrong but it looks like you've changed the angle of the last bevel. Lie the blade flat and lift it till you feel the edge flat and maintain that angle both sides. Do one or two strokes then look to see if the burr is at the right angle you want. Hope this helps. I'm sure you'll get better advice here. Good luck

You would be right, the original edge I put on it was with this nasty contraption:

v1Hdl.jpg

and I felt the edge was too fine, so I've tried to bring it to a slightly steeper edge.

FreddyFish

Settler
Mar 2, 2009
Frome, Somerset, UK
Get yourself a good set of sharpening stones to start with. Sharpening any knife is all about repetition and consistency. same angles over and over. If it is rubbish to start with, start out coarse and work your way down. Get a permanent marker and mark the edge, you will see where you are removing metal, you may find that you aren't removing enough metal to begin with.

jtbutcher

Jan 18, 2011
Warwickshire, UK
am i right in thinking you were considering getting rid of this knife??

Originally I was seeking advice on whether it was actually good to keep (see http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67527) I wasn't sure if it was a duff knife seeing as I paid a few quid for it when I was 12 or 13, it had never had an edge on it till the other day.

I decided I would keep it and try and make it useable :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE