Help needed! Silnylon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
This is going to be my new lightweight winter shelter.

I have a Golite Shangri-La 5 weighing 822g, and a Ti-Goat Woodburning Stove & Flue weighing about the same.

Im looking to achieve this: [Photos courtesy of Jim on BCUSA]

null_zps72cb4246.jpg

Stove Jack install with detachable storm cover:

null_zpsc83e86bc.jpg

A hot tent weighing just 1.9kg!

Im looking for someone to install a Ti-goat stove jack into the silnylon golite shagri la5, and possibly add a silnylon sodskirt as well.

So I need someone who is used to working with Sil, sewing it, and can source the stuff.

can anyone reccomend anyone?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Dont answer that! :)
If it hadnt have already had holes cut in it and been stitched it wouldnt be a tent. :confused:
thats why i need an expert Rich.

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'd ask Bilmo and see what he thinks, not sure if he's done much in sil?

Failing that, give donvalleysports a call, I've called in a few times when I've been over that way with work, they have a tent repair section as you go in the door so they might be able to help. They stock Hilleberg and Terra Nova tents so should know their way round sil fairly well.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Speak to Ian (bilmo-p5) and see what he thinks about it. He's pretty nifty with the tarps, etc.,
John Fenna might know too, I think Eric Methven would be more for the canvas stuff.

Bound to be other folks who've used silnylon though.
I hate sewing it :sigh:

cheers,
M

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
do it yourself, the key is something called double sided tape ! Impressed with the value for weight, very nice set up. Does it include the pole, and what sort of interior do you use?

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Speak to Ian (bilmo-p5) and see what he thinks about it. He's pretty nifty with the tarps, etc.,
John Fenna might know too, I think Eric Methven would be more for the canvas stuff.

Bound to be other folks who've used silnylon though.
I hate sewing it :sigh:

cheers,
M

Cheers Mary, I've had a word with Ian. Think he prefers to work with other materials over Sil. Shewie had some good ideas. I'll chase those up. See what i can turn up.

do it yourself, the key is something called double sided tape ! Impressed with the value for weight, very nice set up. Does it include the pole, and what sort of interior do you use?

No, :nono: not risking doing it myself!

I'll weigh it all when I get it set up. You can use the pole or use a stick, or a cord hanging from a branch. I had a Hex 3 for a while when they came out.
In winter, I was planning on just using the shell. And a jerven thermo extreme, as a bivy bag. Which is very comfortable. Luxurious even!
I'd like to make a floor of boughs, but the places I go locally, it would be impractical.....One day.....
Stove's just there to feed whilst Im awake. But it should kick out enough heat to defrost clothing, in real cold, if ever needed. Its a flatpack.
All goes in the rucksack. Bloody flimsy stuff though, this titanium. Feels like tin foil. Dont know if i'll get along with it.
I'll post some piccies at some point.
Stove weighs about 390g, Flue about 400g.

SSCN1629_1_-295x212.jpg

The photos above from BCUSA, are of a silnylon Golite SL5, modded by Seek Outside, for one of the members.

The Sodskirt, I believe is 1.3oz Sil. Same stuff as the tent.

so sending to a sil tent/tipi manufacturer may be the way to go.

Last edited:

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
Silnylon isn't too bad to work with, it's slippery but not too bad once you get used to it.

Maybe contact Sean at Oookworks? might cost you a little more but it'll be a proper job

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Dave the stove in that picture looks interesting do you have any more information on it?

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Silnylon isn't too bad to work with, it's slippery but not too bad once you get used to it.

Maybe contact Sean at Oookworks? might cost you a little more but it'll be a proper job

Yeh, it might be Matthew. Cheers. May end up going to Sean. I'll have to get some quotes. Thanks.

Dave the stove in that picture looks interesting do you have any more information on it?

Sure Mousey. Here you go:

http://www.titaniumgoat.com/WiFi-Stove-assembly.html

I'll post some info or maybe some piccies when I first light it up. It arived a couple of days ago. Odd thing. Titchy.

Not sure whether I'll get along with it. Will see.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE