help needed for lining of leather tankards and bottles

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Scoffham

Tenderfoot
Mar 31, 2009
Cumbria
Hey all

I'm looking for a material to line my leather tankards and bottles with. I currently use beeswax, but ive found that a couple of friends who ive made tankards for have managed to dissolve some of the wax with things such as coke, and the tankards have developed slight leaks.

I had a leather tankard brought for me years ago, which is lined with a black glossy substance,which i presume is some sort of pitch. This is still going strong..even with the slitching that has fallen away! I've even drank hot liquids from it!

Ideally im looking for a substance which can be applied relatively easily, can withstand spirits and coke, ideally hot liquids, is a suitable colour, is durable and foodsafe. Im not so worried about it being authentic.

Can anyone help me out with a material and supplier?

thankyou in advance!

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Don't know much about it but I have a story about that black glossy stuff. Soemone I know left his leather tandard in the sun in his car and it melted and all went on one side, he ended up using a hot spoon to smear it round the other side again :p Just keep the stuff away from heat for a prolonged period of time and it's good stuff.

Scoffham

Tenderfoot
Mar 31, 2009
Cumbria
Cheers launditch.. I found that site a while ago,,, and order some just as your post came in... has anyone worked with brewers pitch before? is it similar to working with wax?

I was also wondering about food safe expoxy resins or silicon or thermoplastics... google hasn't really helped much!

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Hardly traditional and I should check if the product gives off any toxins when exposed to fluids but this (http://www.plastidip.co.uk/index2.cfm), available in black or brown, could be an option. It will certainly create a leak-proof barrier and once cured and bonded to the leather you'll basically have a moulded plastic cup within a cup/tankard.

Cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE