Help, my Barbour bag has died...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
..after only twenty years of use.
The backside with lid has finally delaminated completed (that started with small patches about five years ago) and everything is floppy and feels like a bg of crisps.
The front with the pockets is as good as new.

A new one is way out of reach, so I am considering to repair it myself, but how?
I could disassemble the whole rear,the glue it together.
Has anyone ever done something like this?
I dont want to discard it, since its my all-time favourite.

P8043657_cr.jpg

P8043658.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I'm not sure I follow, do you mean that the lid is made of two similar pieces of cloth that were once bonded together but that are now coming apart, but that the leather seam all around keeps them from doing so?

Mines had a tartan lining which I ripped and cut out, which makes the bag much lighter. If you don't fancy that and want the two halves joined together again have you considered using a hypodermic syringe to inject glue through the inside panel?

Just a thought. :)

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
I'm not sure I follow, do you mean that the lid is made of two similar pieces of cloth that were once bonded together but that are now coming apart, but that the leather seam all around keeps them from doing so? :)

Thats it, I didnt know that its a three-layer fabric, either. Barbour also says so on their website.
I am now trying to find a suitable glue. It has to remain flexible and bond cotton to cotton, the waterproof insert will be ripped out, probably.

Spunyarn

Tenderfoot
Nov 11, 2008
UK
Would wonderweb work?

If you could open up a hole in the edging, you could stuff in copious amounts of wonderweb between the layers, and then iron it.

If you're not familiar with wonderweb, you buy it on a roll, tear off bits, and when heat is applied it turns into a very effective glue. It's made for textiles, and glueing material together. It's most common application is glueing badges on, as an alternative to sewing.

It's about a quid or two per roll so mighty be worth a try?

wonderweb.JPG

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
Unfortunately, Barbour doesnt repair bags and cant provide fabric.
So I will try something like this wonderweb or some textile glue.
Alternatively, I try to get another one second hand.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE