help me id this old knife

screwdriver

Forager
Nov 28, 2010
calne
i have had this knife for over30 years ,origionally swapping it with a kid at school.
he said at the time it belonged to his uncle who was in the airforce during ww2 but i have searched the web and cant find one like it.
its made by martindale and dated 1943 can anyone provide any info.
knife2.jpg

knife1.jpg

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Im no expert but it looks like an early UK issue survival knife the crowsfoot and date suggest it is genuine. Its quite simular to the Wilkinson Sword 'D' and later MOD Survival Knife. Martindale still make machetes for the forces although of dubious quality IMO.

Looks like a good user how does it perform in the field?

screwdriver

Forager
Nov 28, 2010
calne
considering the age very well ,holds its edge very well and the old rubber handle is rock solid though very uncomfortable .
ive looked at uk ww2 aircrew survival knives on the net and some look like this but not exactly the same ,though this is all 100% origional.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
With the rubber handle maybe it was a special jungle issue? Seems like a good project for a new handle and a profile and polish! Nice.

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Its in R.Flooks book on british and commonwealth knives p.109-10.Its a Paratroopers machete.The straps on the sheath are for strapping to your leg.
VERY nice...if you feel like selling?.....

stekker

Forager
Aug 21, 2009
holland
With the rubber handle maybe it was a special jungle issue? Seems like a good project for a new handle and a profile and polish! Nice.
Don't do that,you will destroy the wearings,the patina and the history of this machette!

Theo

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Don't do that,you will destroy the wearings,the patina and the history of this machette!

Theo

Absolutley!!Leave it as it is.Dont quote me on this but i would imagine these are worth a bob or two...anything ww2 british para is.
Screwdriver.I can pm you a scan as i think there would be copyright issues posting it here?If im wrong ill sort it sometime.
Lovely knife, i am green with envy!!

screwdriver

Forager
Nov 28, 2010
calne
ive owned this since i was 12 (over 30 years) and the only thing apart from a light sharpening i have done to this was electrical tape on the grips (30 years ago) to make them more comfortable ,which i removed for the photo and has probably made them last this long.

deburge

Aug 17, 2011
Dorset England
Hello Screwdriver, Don,t know what it is called, but I have its identical twin, complete with identical sheath both marked with the broad arrow and stamped 1943. The sheath has the letters B H G stamped under the broad arrow at the bottom.
Regards

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
BHG=Barrow Hepburn&Gale.Well known maker of all sorts of militaria.

(im so glad this thread has reappeared again...green envy all over again!:) )

deburge

Aug 17, 2011
Dorset England
Thanks for the info on B H S. Thats one more step towards finding out the history of my old knife.
I am also trying to get a copy of the book by R Flooks in order to further my knowledge. Seems like this particular knife is now quite rare.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE