Help me id these berries?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pteron

Acutorum Opifex
Nov 10, 2003
Wiltshire
pteron.org
I was out picking blackberries and rose hips when i came upon a bush that I don't recognise. Any idea what it is? Are the berries edible?

P Wren

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
Kent,Surrey Borders
Looks like a European cranberrybush (Viburnum opulus) to me. The stems of the fuit appear red but I can't see the leaves that clearly. There's a lot of stuff around the fruit and not sure what's what. I'm still new to plant Identification and I always feel happier to get when I get 'the fount of all knowledge and wisdom' - my Mother ;) (on plants anyway) to ID specimins.

I'll check for you tonight.

Paul

Update: Check this very useful resource posted by Stew 'Website for British Trees and Shrubs ID' on 30-07-2005, 18:47.

http://www-saps.plantsci.cam.ac.uk/trees/guelder.htm

The berries you found do indeed seem to be Viburnum opulus. The entry says that the leaves, bark and berries are all POISONOUS to man, though the berries are edible when cooked.

P Wren

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
Kent,Surrey Borders
Grans are often right you know ;)

My grandparents grew up in and in Blythe in the North East and Tipperary town Ireland, in the 30's and 40's. My grandaparents would often talk about foraging in hedgrows and the countryside, fishing and hunting (well more likely poaching).

Even my mother now in her 60's talks about bicylce trips out into the countryside around the Medway Towns to collect fruit and nuts for cooking.

An I know the best places in the New Forest for Chesnuts Crab apples and the like. It's only in the last ten years or so that my Mum has stopped collecting wild fruits and making jams. I suspect as she prepares to retired she'll get back into it. And will hopefully teach me !

Paul

pteron

Acutorum Opifex
Nov 10, 2003
Wiltshire
pteron.org
My Gran was into collecting fruit too, and she knew all about the trees and shrubs around us. She pretty much started me off in my outdoor interests.

I got back into it when I bought the book "Food for free" - probably as a result of reading about it here or one of the other forums. So 2 years ago I made my first Sloe Gin, repeated it last year along with collecting loads of blackberries (did you know Waitrose charge a fortune for blackberries?) and now this year I'm trying Rose Hips as well. In addition, we discovered a walnut tree and pear tree in the local park that nobody appears to be interested in. We collected a few Walnuts and ate a couple of pears - they are incredibly tasty, much better than the ones in the shops. Now I need to find out who owns the Bullace and Greengage trees that over hang the park - nobody collects them and they eventually fall and rot which is a great shame.

I love autumn!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE