Help me find my perfect AXE

Stirling3749

Jan 30, 2011
BC, Canada
I'm looking closely into axes now and searching for what will be my standard for backpacking/kayaking trips, hopefully until the day I die.
I'm no axe expert but I've swung a few and I'm pretty sure I have it down to a fairly specific picture.

1 1/2lb-2lb head
18"-24" handle
And as for the shape of the head I'd really like to have something geared toward splitting but not an all out splitting axe, maybe something along the lines of a Small forest axe but with a slightly fatter and more streamlined head that can still hack and carve.
Also I'd like to be able to split hardwood without worrying about damaging the edge so a pretty hard steel is desired.

I know I'm asking allot of the axe here but surely someone somewhere in the world makes an axe that can do at least most these things and preferably not cost an arm and a leg.
I have access to some machines like auto sanders and a grinding wheel and such but I've never worked on an axe before and so if I'm going to put some cash into a quality tool I'd rather do as little touching up on it as possible.

So what would you folks suggest?

Stirling3749

Jan 30, 2011
BC, Canada
A double bit axe, one side sharpened for splitting and the other for carving, hacking

I've thought about going down the double bit road.
The loss of the poll isn't all that much of a setback in my case, I use a fair sized knife and baton for all my small wood splitting and as for the hammer feature I'd settle for a rock.
In my searching I haven't really found a suitable product though, double bits seem to be pretty uncommon and going custom would probably cost more than what I'm willing to shell out.
So yeah If I can find a good double bit that meets my needs I'd definitely be open to that.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I've thought about going down the double bit road.
The loss of the poll isn't all that much of a setback in my case, I use a fair sized knife and baton for all my small wood splitting and as for the hammer feature I'd settle for a rock.
In my searching I haven't really found a suitable product though, double bits seem to be pretty uncommon and going custom would probably cost more than what I'm willing to shell out.
So yeah If I can find a good double bit that meets my needs I'd definitely be open to that.
Google Kelly Woodslasher Axe - Western Double Bit, the handle is a bit longer than you want, but I've seen a couple of good reviews online.

Stirling3749

Jan 30, 2011
BC, Canada
Thanks for the replies guys.
I've seen those Kelly doubles before. They look great but yeah the handle is pretty long for my pack.

The reason I don't much like the GB axes is that the profile isn't very well suited for good splitting... except of course for the splitting axes which are a little TOO specialized.
Don't get me wrong, GB makes fantastic axes and if all else fails i may just end up buying the small splitter and try to work on it.

Does anyone have any experience with the S&N Hudson Bay axe? It looks pretty nice.
http://www.snowandnealley.com/products/axes/hbca24.htm

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
The reason I don't much like the GB axes is that the profile isn't very well suited for good splitting... except of course for the splitting axes which are a little TOO specialized.
Don't get me wrong, GB makes fantastic axes and if all else fails i may just end up buying the small splitter and try to work on it.

Does anyone have any experience with the S&N Hudson Bay axe? It looks pretty nice.
http://www.snowandnealley.com/products/axes/hbca24.htm

I looked into the S&N axes myself but the general consensus was that the ones made these days are of poor quality and are best avoided. They do look nice though. There is a review of one here
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67312&highlight=hudson+bay

GB axes are normally too thin for splitting well, i have often said so. The two i listed though are better than the others. The wilderness axe has a thicker bit than the Scfa and the sfa. If you read the blurb it tells you that Ray wanted an axe that split better so he and GB made that between them. The outdoor axe is a very good splitter, its a hybrid of a wildlife hatchet and the small splitting axe.

If you want something similar to the S&N then it may be worth checking out Ebay for Norlund axes, as the S&N is a copy of those axes. Some say the Norlund axes are the best axes ever made. :)

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Sounds like a Fiskars axe would be perfect for you mate! They have hollow, light weight super tough handles and heads that split and chop well!

They sell them in do it all, homebase etc and can get most of the models for under £40.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE