Help looking for a word to describe herbal and natural remedies

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Hi,

I am looking for a word or words used to describe traditional medicine ascribing healing qualities to certain plants and animals.

For example, if an animal is considered strong or wise and people believe that consuming the animals parts will give them those properties;

or, if a plant or flower, resembles a pregnant woman or female genitals then drinking a concoction of the plant will assist fertility or desirability etc.

Not looking for words like supersition or bunkum but a proper term -

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
In general it's called "Folk Herbalism", but you are looking for a word specifically for believing the action of the herb resembles what it looks like? (a bit like "onomatopoeia" where words sound like their meaning?) AFAIK there is no special word in English for this.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
There is a word, but for the life of me I can't think what it is. Homeopathy is what comes to mind, but it isn't that. Something along those lines though I think.

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I did not know of the doctrine of signatures for herbalism.

But what about association with animal qualities - strength, speed, bravery etc.?

I seem to recall that there was a word for this too.

Thanks for all help so far.

The reason I ask is that I am researching the rationale of the trade in animal parts for traditional Chinese medicine rhino horn, tiger organs etc.

I want to discredit the belief in the associative cures from consumption of animal parts while distinguishing the herbalism component of Chinese medicine.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE