Help identification plant R.Mears video

tamoko

Jun 28, 2009
Zuerich
bushcraftru.com
Thank you very much!
I think yes this is soapwort and R.Mears speak "soapwort".
It was not clear for me this word in video.
One strange point for me it is looks on video plant have more then 5 leaf.
But it is about 20 species Saponaria.
It is really protect again mosquito?

leahcim

Tenderfoot
Aug 2, 2011
USA
Soapwort - the plant contains Saponins, which should be called Soap-ins. many plants have sapinins especially beans which makeyou fart and have gas. Buckeyes, Soapberries, Yucca Roots have saponins. Saponins is a fish poison and make fish float on the surface. Saponins must be broke down with heat and water like you do beans. Have you ever eaten dried beans raw, it will make you seriously sick. To find if a plant contains Saponins just smash and add water, and if you see suds, you have saponins chemicals.

leahcim

Tenderfoot
Aug 2, 2011
USA
anything you hear the word WORT, it is an old english term that means to solve something, like Soapwort means solves the problem of needing soap. Liverwort, good for liver, spleenwort, good for spleen, st. johns wort, good for your john (Bathroom John that is, your pee pee), Tonguewort for tongue issues, and the list goes. Just dont know what a Penny is, in Pennywort.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
anything you hear the word WORT, it is an old english term that means to solve something, like Soapwort means solves the problem of needing soap. Liverwort, good for liver, spleenwort, good for spleen, st. johns wort, good for your john (Bathroom John that is, your pee pee), Tonguewort for tongue issues, and the list goes. Just dont know what a Penny is, in Pennywort.

Good for your wallet,

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
St John's wort is so named because St. John was (is) the patron saint of nurses, not the urinal :)
It's an antidepressant and eases anxiety.
Wort is just the name given to a useful plant.

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The Irish call Figwort, Rosenoble. My elderly (91) Irish neighbour tells me that his parents gathered the plants in Summer and hung them to dry. When needed the dried plants were boiled for an hour in water to make a strong tea that was drunk down to cure everything from teenage acne to psoriasis.

What's whorlywort ? I don't know that one at all :dunno:

If anyone wants a rooted bit of soapwort, let me know ? It makes a lovely soap liquor for washing that doesn't leave the hands sore :cool: but it's a blasted invasive weed if you don't contain it somehow.

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's a good yellow natural dye :) and caterpillars like it.

That's it really, it's a blasted nuisance, and a notifiable weed of pasture, otherwise.

cheers,
Toddy

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
hmmmm Ragwort! Cinnabar caterpillars love it!

That was my reasoning for keeping it, I love the cinnabar moths. It was time to root it all up though, apparently it's a very succesful plant with 80% seed germination rate.
My 'garden' is like a wildflower meadow, not to most peoples' tastes but I like it and so does the wildlife.

02072011520.jpg

02072011522.jpg

02072011523.jpg

02072011525.jpg

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Isn't it supposedly yellow flowers that bees a most attracted to, would a hardy yellow flowering plant be perfect to help with the bee feeding, does it last longer than rapeseed?

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Isn't it supposedly yellow flowers that bees a most attracted to, would a hardy yellow flowering plant be perfect to help with the bee feeding, does it last longer than rapeseed?

True bees are attracted to yellow flowers (which is why many spring flowers are yellow to attract the early bees & so have a head start with seed production & germination before the later bully boy plants spring up & smother them. Though they appear yellow to us, to bees they are ultra violet , which we can't see.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Funny how much attention the bees give the tiny wee flowers of lemon balm, blackcurrants, heather and St.John's wort.
Right enough they buzz in the foxgloves for weeks too.

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE