HELP !! - Helsport Varanger Problem

Aug 17, 2009
Aberdeen
I'm looking for some help here. I just took delivery of a Helsport Varanger Lavvu (12-14). Just managed to fit it into my garden for a once over on Saturday, however, while closing the door after putting it up, a 3 - 4 FOOT TEAR in the fly appeared about 2mm from the stitching of the zip. Now, the fly was taut - as it should be, but not overly so, the zip did not catch the fabric and there were no apparent defects in the fly fabric.

Has anyone had any problems of this sort with Helsport tents. I've been using a Tentipi Arran for nearly 10 years now and have put the fabric under much more stress than I applied to the Helsport without any problems, so to say I was surprised is an understatement. I've heard good things about Helsport tents, and decided to give them a go when I wanted to upgrade to a larger, higher spec model.

I'm now wondering whether this was a defective fly and I should return the fly for a replacement or whether the actual fabric is not up to the task and return the whole thing and stick with Tentipi.

Having had excellent service from Tamarack, its a shame that I've lost so much confidence in the quality of the product that I'm now considering bining the whole idea.

Any exerience out there would be really helpful.

Steve

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Sounds like it must be a duffer Steve, probably one that slipped the QC net.

What did the guys at Tamarack say ?

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Do the instructions say to erect the tent with the zips shut?I know every tent I've ever owned says this.If it does,make sure you tell them you followed the instructions to the letter.

Aug 17, 2009
Aberdeen
Sally at Tamarack was brilliant this morning. She's looking into getting me a replacement shipped over but understands if I need to cancel the order . I did peg the tent out with the door closed, but obviously you need to open the door to get inside to raise the pole. I was easily able to get the pole vertical, which is generally the sign that the fly isn't under too much tension, then I closed the door and the fly ripped. This is as per the manufacturers instructions and my experience of pitching my existing tipi.

I can't thelp feeling that the fabric should have coped with that without problem - there was no wind, it wasn't pitched wrongly . . . .

If no-ones experienced any issues with quality control I'll put it down to a defective fly and get a replacement shipped over. Not sure I'll ever consider the fabric as robust as the tentipi fabric, but perhaps time and use will change my mind

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE