HELP common problems with coleman duel fuel single mantle lantern

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

allenko

Forager
Sep 24, 2003
Leicestershire
Hi,

I have a coleman duel fuel single mantle lantern, that has worked perfectly all summer.

I filled it up the other day (when I needed it in anger) and nowt happened

I followed instructions to the T !

I've deduced two possibles where I have let the unleaded but funnelled filtered fuel run right down an d jet has got blocked or I've over filled it.

If I have overfilled I don't know how to rid of the excess fuel and making a glorified mess

BTW the mantle in in good shape.

livefast999

Aug 12, 2008
uk
Hi, I don't have a coleman duel fuel lantern, however I do have a duel fuel stove.

I did a bit of research before I bought my stove and apparently if you use unleaded fuel this can lead to the generator tube becoming blocked. This could be a reason for your lantern not working. As far as I know the only thing to do is to buy a new generator tube.

Coleman fuel is very expensive but an alternative is Panel Wipe, available from car bodyshop suppliers, or possibly some motor factors. Its around £15 for 5 litres.

I have used panel wipe in my stove for over a year now, with no problems.

Hope this helps

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
The man you need to talk to about all things stove related is Rik, but he probably knows more about lanterns then most too so he should be able to help you out. i cannot see the generator tube being knackered, more likely is the fact that the needle has stuck or the jet is blocked, but it should be easily repairable with minimal tools.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I doubt the generator is ruined. More likely the needle has stuck or the jet is blocked. I cannot remember exactly how the generator worked on the Army versions but I seem to remember a bit had snapped in one when it was stuck and forced open, if this has happened to yours you may need to replace the needle part. I don't know how you extinguish the Coleman having never used one but I used to extinguish the Army lanterns by opening a smaller valve on the filling lid, killing the pressure and stopping the fuel supply. This is the same method I use for my stove, a Nova+ as that way the fuel line is emptied and there are no drips but more importantly I have turned it off in the past by using the control and after it cools down the needle was really stuck solid and I could not turn the fuel supply back on until I exerted enough force to un-jam it!

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Hi,

My experience of all things coleman is it's often the generator tube that's kaput. Running them on Unleaded is a quick way to clog the generator.

What basically happens is the additives in unleaded that keep your car engine in good order when used in a coleman stove or lantern don't vapourise out when the appliance is running. eventually they build up in the generator tube and solidify when the applicance cools down over time the tube becomes clogged. The small bore size of the coleman generator tube doesn't help. If you feed the appliance on a diet of White Gasoline which doesn't contain the additives unleaded does then the appliance runs generally trouble free.

A giveaway for this is if you cannot move the cleaning needle up and down the generator tube

Anyhow to proffer a diagnosis can you let us have the model of lantern.

Cheers

John

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
I doubt the generator is ruined. More likely the needle has stuck or the jet is blocked. I cannot remember exactly how the generator worked on the Army versions but I seem to remember a bit had snapped in one when it was stuck and forced open, if this has happened to yours you may need to replace the needle part. I don't know how you extinguish the Coleman having never used one but I used to extinguish the Army lanterns by opening a smaller valve on the filling lid, killing the pressure and stopping the fuel supply. This is the same method I use for my stove, a Nova+ as that way the fuel line is emptied and there are no drips but more importantly I have turned it off in the past by using the control and after it cools down the needle was really stuck solid and I could not turn the fuel supply back on until I exerted enough force to un-jam it!

The Lantern you were using in the Army was likely a Vapalux 320, Green tank silver frame black hood this runs on Kerosene and it's safe to vent the tank pressure with kerosene appliances. As you say that's how most of them work.

If you vent the tank on a running 'petrol' appliance the vapour is likely to catch fire kaboom style....

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
The Lantern you were using in the Army was likely a Vapalux 320, Green tank silver frame black hood this runs on Kerosene and it's safe to vent the tank pressure with kerosene appliances. As you say that's how most of them work.

If you vent the tank on a running 'petrol' appliance the vapour is likely to catch fire kaboom style....

Oh yes, how silly of me! :eek: Fair's fair though, I wouldn't have made the same mistake a second time! :D

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
allenko
I have this exact lantern which can be tempremental. I use coleman fuel after problems with other stuff. Now when you prime (pump) it and slowly turn on does fuel come into the globe? I found if I over fill it is difficult to build up pressure to make it work. If this is the problem then syphon out some fuel I used plastic tubing. Also check the pump washer which makes the seal to see if this is in order.
Good Luck Alan

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
As said, Coleman 'dual fuel' are no good on UK unleaded. Panel wipe or Aspen 4T is perfect. I'd be inclined to change the generator. The Vapalux lanterns burning parafinn are a super lamp, very reliable and are cheap to buy used on eBay. The same lamp sometimes is called Bialaddin, its the same lamp. I use Coleman but Vapalux/Bialaddin are my favourites (as in my avatar)

I'm more stoves than lanterns, the boys to speak to about lanterns are these guys

http://www.be-back-later.com/forums/ Dutch site, but everybody speaks really good English and they are a friendly bunch (a lot of brit members there too).

livefast999

Aug 12, 2008
uk
Just found this on the coleman website

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/faq/faqreturn.asp?question=35

I bought my duel fuel stove thinking that I could run it on unleaded, its not until you start reading up on the forums that you realise that unleaded can in fact ruin your Coleman stove/lantern.

And here we have Coleman themselves actually admitting it too, Imho its a nice way for them to sell lots of generator tubes.

What do you think johnboy ?

allenko

Forager
Sep 24, 2003
Leicestershire
Blimey I just checked out 'be back later' I didn't realise the sensitivity and complexity of these lamps

bloody interesting by all accounts

livefast999

Aug 12, 2008
uk
Hi Allenko,

I'm no expert, maybe johnboy or rik_uk3 would have a better suggestion, but I would suggest, getting some carburettor cleaner from halfords etc, and give the generator a good squirt, and see if that helps.

If its like the one on the stoves, you cant just push a pipecleaner through the generator, as there is a small spiral of wire going through the middle.

I would still get hold of a new generator, that way you can rule it out, and if it aint the problem you will have a spare for when it does clog up.

just my thoughts.

Rothley Bill

Forager
Aug 11, 2008
Rothley, Leicestershire
Generator Tubes !!! proberbly the last place I would look. We use 3 of these lamps within our scout group as and when we need, 4 to 6 times a year, they are always run on unleaded and have been for the last 6 years and the only replacements needed have been mantles as the scouts are none too gentle with them when packing and unpacking.

I would seroiusly look elsewhere for your problem, overfilling the tank can cause the symptoms you describe as couls the pump not providing any pressure (washers etc)

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Generator Tubes !!! proberbly the last place I would look.
I would seroiusly look elsewhere for your problem, overfilling the tank can cause the symptoms you describe as couls the pump not providing any pressure (washers etc)

I'm not sure of the exact model of coleman lantern we are talking about here to be honest.

'Single mantle dual fuel' could be one of several differing models. Coleman have made lots and lots of lantern models over the years. A model number would help matters no end.

I've never been able to resurect a coleman generator. They are designed to be used, bust and be replaced carb claner might work but by the time you've bought a can of that you might as well have bought a new gen tube.

Before you begin tearing things apart I would check to see if the lantern is making pressure. Ensure the lantern is turned off at the control Unscrew the pump knob 1/4 turn to unlock it place your thumb over the hole in the pump knob if it's got one and give it about 10 full strokes close the pump and lock it off.

Leave it for 5 minutes.. Then very carefully outdoors and away from all sources of possible ignition and naked flames slowly unscrew the fuel cap the tank should hiss as it releases pressure. If you get a hiss then the lantern is making and holding pressure. No hiss then it's not pressurising and you need to investigate further in this area.

If you've overfilled it then there is no airspace to allow for preessurization you'll need to carefully drain the tank again outdoors and away from flames etc. Most pressure lanterns like to operate on 3/4 of a full tank max as the fuel is burned you need to add more pump strokes to maintain the pressure.

Running 'Petrol' lanterns on Unleaded is not a good idea.. I've used lots an lots of lanterns and lots of coleman stoves and lanterns and unleaded kills them all in the end.

IMHO Kerosene is the way to go for lanterns... Just don't buy a Tilley...

Hope this helps a bit...

Reactions: allenko

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE