Help choosing a Sleeping Bag please!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

David1983

Jul 3, 2012
Outer Hebrides
I've just started as an instructor in the Army cadets in teh Western Isles and have been advised that getting my own sleeping bag would be a good idea! I also fancy exploring the Islands so will use it outside of the cadets too. However, I could do with some help picking which one to get. I have about £80 to spend, would prefer a new bag and am 5'6" and average build.

So far I've narrowed the choice down to three: Snugpak Elite 3, Snugpak Elite 4 and the Carinthia Defence 4.

I will be getting a Berghaus Centurio 45 rucksack so don't want anything too huge (or heavy) when compressed and I would imagine using the sleeping bag between March and October, staying mostly in tents or improvised shelter.

I don't know which would be best as I'm new to this so your help choosing is really appreciated!

Thanks, David

qsalister

Feb 5, 2012
South Yorkshire
For that price, I'd recommend the Snugpack Kestrel. Rated down to minus 5, relatively light and compact. I've been using one for the last couple of months and had no problems with it.

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
I bought a Carinthia Defence 4 and Tropen at the beginning of this year, both in the 200 size since I'm 6'5''and have always struggled getting a good fit in sleeping bags and I am an utter convert, they are fantastic. The Defence 4 is not small when packed but the supplied compression sack is very effective and it easily fits in the bottom section of my rucksack , and it is incredibly warm and should easily see you through the worst of weather in the time frame you are talking about. You would then have the option of adding a Tropen inner bag for either more extreme weather or as a stand alone summer bag.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
The D4 will fill most of your bag. With an Elite 3; with softies, you have an all year round option. Used with a bivi bag and the temp rating improves again. What do soldiers who walk with their kit carry? The D4? No, something else. Often a Snuggie of some description.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE