Help and Advice for Back Sufferer Please?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I asked a several fizzio's and a couple of doctors about hammocks and the answer was NO and included comments like 'are you crazy'. Perhaps my problems are different. Until you get the all clear of someone who knows what they are talking about I'd forget hammocks, just my view and a disclaimer should you come back and moan lol.

resnikov

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
It could be the doctors don't have a clue about hammocks so they say no just to cover themselves. I asked my doctor about scuba diving as I have asthma and they said no. Asked my Dr in Oz who sees a lot more people do diving and it was a yes. Dr's don't know everything.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

snozz

Dec 9, 2009
Otley
Have you ever tried an inversion table such as this http://backswing.co.za/ ? I've had one for years after getting run over on a skateboard by a landrover (don't ask!) And it has been excellent for those moments at home when the back pain is unbearable.

Snozz

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
Bucephalus - maybe you should, as I do, string your hammock at home and use it instead of a bed:)

A while back I showed my wife a pic posted here when someone had a hammock strung up in their living room and I suggested I do just that in the spare room.

The answer was perfect, "why don't you just live in the woods!"

Surv:vor

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 14, 2012
England
What a mangled bunch we are. :)

The only thing I'm sure of after twenty something years of managing my back related pain/issues is that no two cases are entirely the same. No matter how similar they are.

In my case. Following advice from health pro's on both sides of the divide, I spent the first year attempting to sleep on the floor and managed no more than an hour a night. Taken with the number of episodes I've suffered getting up off the ground, these are the worst situations for me. Which is why I'm pleased with the feedback in this thread concerning hammocks. Given the amount of resources I've used up on the purchase of various Orthopedic Mattresses, over the years, a few extra pounds for a hammock could be getting off lightly. I'm fortunate to have the thickest Tempur mattress, and since owning one of these I've managed 3-5hrs sleep a night. Although what may apply for me, may not be the same for others.

I'm fortunate to have access to woodland very close to home, which negates the cost/need to travel elsewhere and test out a loaner. In which case, based on your suggestions, I shall now begin the selection process for my very first hammock.

Thanks again to all for you advice and suggestions, I will let you know how it goes...

The Ratcatcher

Apr 3, 2011
Manchester, UK
As yet another sufferer from back trouble since an accident many years ago, I've tried all sorts of ideas to get a good night's sleep. Favourites are a hammock with a thermarest in it, a British army issue folding bed and since two weeks ago, a couple of straw bales. All of the above have allowed a decent might's sleep, and none of them are expensive. (The straw bales were borrowed for free!)

Alan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE