Help a newbie :)

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
As per title .....

I'm trying to find somewhere on the net that sells zebra billy cans.
Particularly the 10cm one.
Anyone ?
Does it have to be Zebra, as they are in short supply. many people here have made their own 10cm billy cans from stainless steel coffee jars, which can be had from pound shops for a few quid

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Woodlore are about the only place with stock - but not the 10cm sadly. Have bought a few things off them over the last couple of years and they are not always the most expensive option. As a bonus the service is great too. (Sadly my Postie now associates me with "That bushcraft chappie - Bear". The ignorant fool!

Having said that, do you really want something so small? I have the 12cm and it is ok for large solo meals or sharing with a friend. Try sharing with the 10cm and you would both go hungry!

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Does it have to be Zebra, as they are in short supply. many people here have made their own 10cm billy cans from stainless steel coffee jars, which can be had from pound shops for a few quid
our local pound shop sells everything for £1. Thats why we call it the pound shop.;)

Zebra billies are made in malaysia and are hard to find in the UK or expensive when you do. IIRC that chap Mears sells them from his website.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
As others have said.
My only thoughts are these:
Firstly, as someone has already said, a 10cm can is not that big. 12cm is about right. Save money by buying the right thing to start with.
Secondly, also as someone else has said, rather than buy an expensive billy can, think a bit more laterally. Those small stainless steel tea and coffee containers from Morrisons, Sainsburys and Poundland et al are exactly the same. If you look on the 'hobo stove' thread you can see how some people have adapted them by adding wire handles. And whilst you're buying your budget billy you can buy another steel pot to make a hobo stove as well! Again, you'll save a bit of money on this option that can be spent elsewhere.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
our local pound shop sells everything for £1. Thats why we call it the pound shop.;)

Zebra billies are made in malaysia and are hard to find in the UK or expensive when you do. IIRC that chap Mears sells them from his website.
My local pound shops sells nothing that costs a pound it's either more or less, never exactly a pound.
maybe I should have said "pound shop type shop"
:lmao:

saddle_tramp

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 13, 2008
West Cornwall
seen 10cm stainless mugs for sale in a few poundshops. you dont get a lid, but an old stainless teapot lid aint hard to find at a boot sale. 10cm really is more mug size than pot size tho

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I'm also making the assumption that these ---> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=270282788169
are not billy cans but some sort of small storage jar ???

They do look interesting though :)

I've looked at these a few times, considering whether or not tit would be feasable to turn one into a hobo type stove. Haven't seen one in the flesh tho, so keep holding off.

Yes, to your question, they were designed as lunch boxes in India and are gaining in popularity again.

Simon

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Hi,

yep, Zebra's, particularly 10cm one's are a little thin on the ground and have been for 12 months or so. If i may be so bold as to suggest an alternative? Lurch (a member here) has an on-line Bushcraft shop and sell's tatonka billies for a very reasonable price. Shortcut here:

http://www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk/

You may do well to consider these as an alternative. All the best.;)

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Why the supply problems with zebra stuff?

I believe there was a minimum order from Zebra in Thailand, you have to fill a container! Obviously, not many places want a container of billy cans sat in their warehouse!

10 cm is really small, you can get a cup the same size for a few quid, albeit without a lid. Speak to Addo, his is pretty gucci as it also has markings on the side for measurement.

pentrekeeper

Forager
Apr 7, 2008
North Wales
I am led to believe that Mr Mears, Woodlore is now the sole uk importer for Zebra billy cans and they will not suppply any other outlets, thus cornering the uk market for these items. :(

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
As Dan and Rik have said, take a look at the Tatonka pans they`re equally as good if not better.

For some reason they call them kettles though ?

Personally I`ve got some Bulldog pans which nest inside each other, I`ve had them for over 20 years now and they`re still going strong.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
As Dan and Rik have said, take a look at the Tatonka pans they`re equally as good if not better.

For some reason they call them kettles though ?

Personally I`ve got some Bulldog pans which nest inside each other, I`ve had them for over 20 years now and they`re still going strong.

Rich, don't start me off about the Bulldog pans, mine are @40 years old :) love them to bits. You can get clones on eBay for about £15 for the set of three but they are aluminium so not 'bushcrafty' enough for some :rolleyes:

ebay item 380061924549

£14.95 delivered

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE