Help a newbie out with his choice of knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
I got one of these last year.
When they talk about sharp knives, this is a sharp knife. i have the scar to prove it. Boker Magnum. cost less than £15 but dont let the price fool you. it's a really good scalpel sharp sturdy knife.
02rs002_zpsc7f56fd8.jpg

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Id get a mora too.

Or, say, something s****y like a laminated mora with a custom handle and sheath?

Ed the Ted

Forager
Dec 13, 2013
Scotland
Here in the UK you could get a mora, SAK and a hatchet like a hultafors for under your budget. If I were you that is definitely what I'd do.

Brynglas

Another +1 on the Mora. I've got one that I've had for 25 years and it's still goung strong. I use it as an oyster and shellfish opener nowadays but a great knife. I have other, far more expensive knives that I use but the Mora is more than up to the job.

Matt77

Dec 6, 2014
Scotland
Buy a nice sharp axe, a sharpener and a Polar or Lammi blade from brisa, and the next time you are in the woods, do this...... Bushcraft skills - Rehandle a Mora knife.:
[video=youtube_share;NRhOOPrxBpY]http://youtu.be/NRhOOPrxBpY[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:

Didgeridoohan

Tenderfoot
I agree with Goatboy. Although Mora's are nearly perfect, most people want something a bit more fancier after they got their basics down. The Karesuando brand delivers some good knives, the stainless steel is easier to sharpen than other stainless steels I've come across. They spark fire steels without a problem since the spine is nearly 90° (they are rounded of just a little bit but still scrape decent sparks).

I had some use out of the one linked below, very reliable and easy to use.
http://www.heinnie.com/karesuando-knives-wilderness

You can see it in use in this very short video in which we were experimenting with putting a GoPro on your head :) Note that the one who lit the fire should've put his knife back in his sheath the moment he lit the fire (I'm the one with the cap). That's why I stuck it in the log, to make him think: 'How did my knife end up here?!'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIhEVtCFWcw&list=UUMQewx7Ry609esblJN1oy9g

Karesuando make really nice knives, although the nice ones get pricy... Also, Casström make nice knives as well. Their No 10 Forest knife can be found for about £80 and is top notch. Or, if you just want a functional knife for a great price, Mora can't be beat.

But, the main reason for my post is that I have to ask: Where in Hotagen is that video filmed (that's my old neck of the woods)?

tutorp

Dec 21, 2014
Trondheim, Norway
As asked for, I thought I'd update with what I ended up getting. I did end up with a Mora, the Bushcraft Forest, to be exact. I also had a chat about planning to buy a knife with my other grandfather, who ended up giving me his old hunting knife (a Brusletto Hunter) as well as a Victorinox Swisschamp.

I did discover that the Bushcraft Forest lacked a square spine, and wouldn't work with a firesteel, so I took the file on the Swisschamp to it, and that fixed that problem.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE