Hello

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

daved

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
London
Hello everyone,

I thought it was high-time I introduced myself. I signed up recently but have been dipping in and out of the site for quite a long while. I am an eternal browser and resisted joining because I knew I would end up losing days trawling through the different threads. I finally gave in and the situation is worse than I thought - there is so much interesting material on the site I think I am going to end up disappearing for months! (If you see a pale gollum-like creature crouched in the woods with a laptop in one hand and a firesteel in the other then come and say "hello", it might be me)

I have been very impressed with how friendly, helpful and knowledgeable everyone is and by the complete absense of the "my knife is better/bigger/sharper than yours" type of posts.

I got interested in outdoorsy things as a result of being dragged out hiking with my parents as a kid and through watching Eddie McGee on TV (anyone remember him?) and reading his books. A geology degree has left me an affinity for wild places and a complete inability to walk past rocks without stopping for a look. Coupling that with a renewed interest in bushcraft means that a quick walk in the woods can end up taking me days.

Currently reduced to the status of "armchair adventurer" as I am living in west London and have no garden (getting difficult to explain the mysterious scorch marks around the flat) and trust me, you really don't want to go poking around the undergrowth in the local woods :eek:

I promise to try not to flood you all with daft newbie questions (at least not too often anyway). ;)

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
daved said:
I have been very impressed with how friendly, helpful and knowledgeable everyone is and by the complete absense of the "my knife is better/bigger/sharper than yours" type of posts.

Its not how big it is, it is what you can do with it :D :rolleyes:

Anyway, welcome aboard.

Trust me, as a fellow newbie there is no such thing as a stupid question and you can garentee that someone else somewhere is wondering the same thing.

See you around.

bloodline

Settler
Feb 18, 2005
England
Welcome, I remember Eddie Mcgee well, Ive been looking round the net only today to see what became of him. My all time favourite is good old Lofty Wiseman a man full of humanity and common sense. This site is great you will find all you need and a lot you dont ;) There is always someone about to point you in the right direction.that would be somewhere dry at the moment :) good luck and happy bushcrafting.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hello, welcome to bcuk. I know what you mean about rocks....it's ploughed fields I can't resist having a look at.
Cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE