Hello from Northumberland!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 7, 2013
Northumberland
Hey,

Just joined so thought I'd introduce myself....brilliant forum by the way!

Reet, I've been into the bushcraft thing since I was maybe 10, when I got and read probably 20 times (the original!) bushcraft book by a bloke called Raymond Mears (before he changed his name to Ray, found TV and good food......!).

I've always been interested in the outdoors, walking etc and did a 3 year apprenticeship in horticulture after leaving school, then eventually becoming Head Gardener of a 40 acre historic estate.

In Sept 2011 I took voluntary redundancy thanks to Mr Cameron, found a great website called Helpx, and decided I'm gonna live my life helping out other people round Europe (and probably further in the future) in exchange for good food, a bed, seeing some great places and meeting fantastic people.....basically living my life the way I want without all the sh:te the way most people live with now......so far its been unbelievable!!

Anyway, I'm back in Northumberland at the moment with plenty time on my hands so I've been getting back to the bushcraft and hoping to learn more, improve on skills before I'm away again......and put to good use what I've learnt!

Dec 5, 2010
North East UK
Hi Geordiewanderer
hello from another member currently in the North East
I'm looking forward to hearing a bit more about your adventures with Helpx, I joined Couchsurfing and have enjoyed meeting wanderers from USA and have received hospitality from others when roaming down south so sounds a bit like the Helpx ideal.
Anyway a warm welcome from me.
Hils

geordienemisis

Settler
Oct 3, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
Hello Geordiewanderer, I am from Newcastle just on the outskirts next too the Airport. Glad you have came to the best forum around. There are some great people on here & always loads to learn welcome mate.

Feb 7, 2013
Northumberland
Hi Geordiewanderer
hello from another member currently in the North East
I'm looking forward to hearing a bit more about your adventures with Helpx, I joined Couchsurfing and have enjoyed meeting wanderers from USA and have received hospitality from others when roaming down south so sounds a bit like the Helpx ideal.
Anyway a warm welcome from me.
Hils

Hi Hils,

I would definitely recommend Helpx - website is Helpx.net, a similar thing is called workaway, where hosts take people in and they help out on work required for (generally) 4 and 6 hours a day. The majority of the hosts need help with running small farms, garden work, building stuff, or B&B's, although there really is a wide range of stuff to choose from....and it's worldwide so loads of choice! I've made great friends with the majority of helpers and hosts and it's quite a small world with the helpers who have been doing it for a long time - I met a few helpers who knew other helpers I've met and also been to the same hosts as me....good and bad. But the great thing with it is that it really is a help exchange and if neither are happy then you just leave!

It's a bit like couchsurfing and many helpxers also are on that....I travelled with someone from helpx for a month in Morocco last year, met a few other travellers along the way and we ended up couchsurfing with a host who was from a tiny village in the Sahara desert!

Anyway, if you've any other questions about it just ask......the bad bits of it are that you realise how much there is to see and how fast one year goes!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE