Hello from Isle of Arran

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
Hi everyone I thought I would join up and say hello. Its about time as I've been lurking for a while!! I didn't think it was fair to keep taking advantage of the info you fine people post and not at least give something back! My name is Darren and I'm 42 years old. I'm married with a 6 year old daughter. We have recently moved from Aberdeenshire to the beautiful Isle of Arran.

I have been a keen wild camper for a number of years and naturally started to hone my skills more towards bushcraft. I am a keen fisherman and I'm not a bad shot with an air rifle or sling shot. I'm taking my first steps into the world of foraging, I can already put a basic meal together from natures larder but I'm keen to learn more.

My missus and daughter are also keen to learn new skills. In fact my daughter is already a dab hand at spotting mushrooms and various berries (although she knows not to pick anything until its been checked out by daddy). She is keen to spend as much time as she can with me hiking through the woods and setting up day camps, making a brew etc.

I have recently met Mark of Arran Bushcraft and seem to get on well. I have already been on one of his organised forays and I will be booking one of his 2 day courses very soon.

I hope I can share as much help in the future as I have as I reaped from this site already.

Many thanks

Darren

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Welcome Darren, I've had some great mountaineering adventure on your wonderful island.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Welcome to the site, Darren.........judging from your introductoyr post you'll get on well with the folk here......................atb mac

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
Thanks again. I'm enjoying reading through many of the threads and I'm learning a lot as I do. Its nice to be able to see how other people do something and think " that's much better/ simpler/ easier than how I do it"

Sep 21, 2013
S Wales
A new member myself....but I have to post. I visited your part of the world almost 25 years ago. A really beautiful place. I think I should revisit.

Brian

Bartooon

Nomad
Aug 1, 2007
New Forest
Hi Darren and welcome. I have not been to Arran for a very long time. My school on the Isle of Wight had a study centre in the grounds of Brodick Castle and we went up there a couple of times. Great memories of going up Goatfell in plimsoles (wouldn't get away with that these days)! There was also great pub just down the road that had a sort of big conservatory that was always packed full of hippies. Good times!

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
Thanks for the welcomes.

Aah Bartooon, that would have been the Ormidale. It still has the large conservatory and yes its still full of hippies! LOL. I love that place, especially on folk nights. I have fond memories from years ago lying in the middle of the road navigating back to the B&B using the stars! My missus frequently reminds me of the night in question!! :D

Bartooon

Nomad
Aug 1, 2007
New Forest
Aah Bartooon, that would have been the Ormidale. It still has the large conservatory and yes its still full of hippies! LOL. I love that place, especially on folk nights. I have fond memories from years ago lying in the middle of the road navigating back to the B&B using the stars! My missus frequently reminds me of the night in question!! :D

Blimey - can't believe it is still going! Had some great nights there, even though we were only 16 & 17 (this was back in '70s though and no-one seemed to care much then!).

Must get back up there one day.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE