Hello, and bushcraft with a partner

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I have a double hammock. Useless. you get squished together, and not in any nice way either. Hammocks have their uses, and errrrr errrrr sleeping as a couple isnt one of them, they are cleaner than the ground for certain things eer I am leaving that there. If he sleeps in a hammock i sleep on ground in a bivvy underneath sharing the same tarp. Generally camping as couple should mean less gear, a tent can be smaller, there is less need for individual sleeping kit to be high season rating as close sleeping is warmer. Mostly we sleep in small tent.

xylaria

For the male readers, who cant work out why their woman complains of the cold or sleeping on thin carry mat. Women have more receptors for feeling the cold when asleep, it is a basic bit of darwinism. Mothers that wake up when the temprature drops have more surviving off spring, so more women feel the cold. Either cuddle up more, or take something up to the heat rating. Women esspecially curvier women have more twisting on spine when sleeping on the flat, hammock or thick self inflating mats can work wonders. Airbeds can be very cold things to sleep on. This is just a generalisation, some women are bat hard and can happliy sleep out in a bin bag.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Is there a Darwinian explanation for the female dislike of creepy crawlies or their aversion to toilets which don't flush?

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Is there a Darwinian explanation for the female dislike of creepy crawlies or their aversion to toilets which don't flush?
Hahaha bless you, ged :) But we're not all like that!

And a warm welcome to you and your game partner, too, Tristana :) I've had no luck with hubby coming to meets but my Youngling (11) hammocks with me locally sometimes. We have a hammock each and often use a 'joint' tree with seperate ones making a 90 degree + angle- thats pretty lovely because we feel each other move and it sets up a nice gentle rock when either of us move, we overlap tarps which gives a better 'communal' space.

I used to wish I could get them to meets more often but tbh I'm so used to going on my own now, its my special time and the other meeters are just like a group of brothers :) And increasingly sisters too :)

Last edited:

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Welcome to BCUK!

My better half and I are (um, were) both confirmed ground dwellers although I do occasionally use a hammock if the ground isn't attractive, and she does like to laze in a hammock in the garden.

She often used to camp both with me on the odd holiday and with her rowing crew when they went to competitions around the UK. She had ger own lightweight solo setup, but I could never get closer than about twenty yards to her down sleeping bag without breaking out in a sneezing fit so when we camped together we'd zip together a couple of synthetic bags. I only ever use synthetic bags.

We tried a double air bed but it wasn't a great success (a bit like sharing a hammock) so we went back to our single Thermarests under the doubled bags. I usually had to go looking for mine in the morning.

Unfortunately about ten years ago my SO had very serious health problems and since then she's felt uncomfortable with camping. We still occasionally share my Jerven bag for a few hours' winter star-gazing, but I think the last time we camped together was in Spain in 2002:

http://www.jubileegroup.co.uk/JOS/misc/barcelona_camping.jpg

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
hello and welcome, my missus loves camping but alas its in a tent family style she has no interest in bushcraft just general family camping which is good enough. I think she likes being waited on since i seem to make all the brews do all the cooking etc when camping....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE