Helle Eggen - knackered

Sep 21, 2008
Dartmoor
Have I totally 'wazzed' this knife. I just can't get an edge on it, I have resorted to (light) grinding, various grades of stone, diamond steel... etc etc...

Blunt!

Please help :confused:

Sep 21, 2008
Dartmoor
Please don't ask me how it got in this state. I have been going around in circles :eek::(

Anyway, here we go:

knife4.jpg

knife3.jpg

knife2.jpg

knife1.jpg

Sep 21, 2008
Dartmoor
Ouch - Send it to a maker on here to repair. Get yourself a mora and practice on that.

Thanks for that..... Oddly enough I did get a Mora (clipper), easy to keep sharp and works a treat.

What's a maker - I assume it is a tradesman of 'stuff'? And if someone repairs it, how the heck am I supposed to keep it sharp..... Sorry to be so dopey but I am no good at this knife thing :eek:

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
Im trying to work out if its a convex grind, has the cutting edge got a convex shape to it as in when you lay it on the sharpening stone it dosnt sit flat it rocks like a axe has if that makes sense

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Once it has a decent edge you should only really be stropping it between use. recommend you look up the 5 pound sharpening thread (a sticky in the blade forum here)
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11571

Longstrider of this parish (amongst others) could brink.it back to good health for you.

Sep 21, 2008
Dartmoor
Alternatively get a butchers steel and edge it up on that.

It's never going to look pretty but so long as it cuts stuff it's fit for purpose.

Yup, tried that. I am (in my view) good with a steel, but this will not get any sharper.

Im trying to work out if its a convex grind, has the cutting edge got a convex shape to it as in when you lay it on the sharpening stone it dosnt sit flat it rocks like a axe has if that makes sense

I think the blade originally had a V to it if that makes sense. In at one angle and then a sharper angle - no pun intended.

Sep 21, 2008
Dartmoor
Hello chap, if you would be prepared to trust me, i could put back into shape for you. no cost other than you post to me. if not no worries at all:)

That's great, thanks very much.

I would certainly trust you and be very grateful for your help. However,I have pm'd Longstrider (sorry before your kind offer). If it's OK with you (simply because I have pm'd the man) I shall see if he responds by tomorrow.

Can you drop me a pm with your details, if the other fella doesn't get back to me I will send you the knife - You offer is very much appreciated :)

udamiano

On a new journey
A bit messy, but not a total write off, but it need to be re-edged, back to a single grind. I think where you have gone wrong is that you have constantly moved the angle of the blade as you have been sharpening it, so the original grind has been lost and every time, you move the blade across the stone instead of removing metal at the face, all you are doing is rounding off the edge. not a problem, just a matter of practice.
Southey is a good chap and could sort it out for you, or indeed Longstrider, again of this said forum.
and as said above once its been sharpened, all it really needs is a stropping to keep the edge.

Sep 21, 2008
Dartmoor
Thanks very much fellas - Southey certainly comes highly recommended as i have had a pm in the meanwhile telling me what a good chap he is.

Udamiano, I have seen strops made and sold on here but I don't really know what I need - what are the essential things to know and is there a single strop to do an all-round job?

udamiano

On a new journey
Udamiano, I have seen strops made and sold on here but I don't really know what I need - what are the essential things to know and is there a single strop to do an all-round job?

Ideally your looking for a thin piece of leather (about 1-2mm is good), and then attach this to a flat board this give a solid flat surface to strop against. thicker leather deforms as you press upon it, and rounds the edge so a thin piece is better than a thick piece.
place the knife with the edge away from you onto the strop and then lift the back until the edge is flat against the strop, then wipe the blade down the strop towards you, repeat a few times, then turn the knife over now with the edge towards you and do the same, this time pushing the blade away from you. keep going until you have the edge you want.
The whole affair can be increased with the use of a polishing compound, which you can get from tool supplies, a good one that is highly recommended by a number of people on here is Starky blue (sometimes referred to as Smurf Poo ).

Hope this helps

Da

Sep 21, 2008
Dartmoor
Much appreciated. Once I have the knife back 'in condition' I shall refer back to your advice and see what I can manage. Although I think I shall have to watch someone do this before I cock up another blade :eek:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE