Helikon Tex Swagman poncho - any views/experience?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
It strikes me that it would be truly useful when combined with an old-style 'pied d'elephant'- type sleeping bag. That way, you'd avoid being squeezed when the Swagman is in sleeping bag mode and have a viable sleep system. I don't suppose there are many makers of 'pieds d'elephant' or half sleeping bags around now... particularly with a decent synthetic filling...

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
It strikes me that it would be truly useful when combined with an old-style 'pied d'elephant'- type sleeping bag. That way, you'd avoid being squeezed when the Swagman is in sleeping bag mode and have a viable sleep system. I don't suppose there are many makers of 'pieds d'elephant' or half sleeping bags around now... particularly with a decent synthetic filling...
I wonder if a child's sleeping bag could be adapted, or an old adult one cannibalised to make the elephant's foot.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I guess sleeping bags for children are too tight. But of course on can cut an adult version.

But for what reason please?

Doesn't this thing has a zipper that goes around the foot section too?

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
But for what reason please?

Doesn't this thing has a zipper that goes around the foot section too?

If you 'wear' it as a poncho-thing, you would still need some insulation around your legs for a comfortable night - at least in cooler, temperate climes.

It seems that the criticism aimed at the Swagman revolves around it being too tight around the shoulders when zipped up and used in 'sleeping bag mode'. Even the compact American gentleman in the review found it a little too snug for comfort, when zipped up. Admittedly, you could use it partially unzipped but then you would lose out on the insulation qualities of it as a 'bag' - and, as I'm sure many of us know, being cold at night prevents one from sleeping well. By making use of a half-bag/'pied d'elephant' along with the Swagman in 'poncho mode', you would keep warm while still having a piece of gear that can be used as blanket and underquilt in other scenarios.

I suppose therein lies its shortcoming as jack of all trades, master of none. For reasons that I cannot fathom, I'm still interested in one... Weird!

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
It seems to be constructed pretty bad, if people don't fit into it and can't use it as a sleeping bag.

Some of the Dutch army poncho liners have also zippers in L - shape, but no hole for the head. One could make a slit, add a zipper there and Voilà! Un pied d'éléphant n'est plus nécessaire!

The Dutch army version is constructed of course in the right size.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE