Helikon SFU Trouser Material

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

LoneWalker

Tenderfoot
Feb 8, 2014
Devon
How does the material on Helikon SFU trousers compare to Craghoppers Kiwis please. Ideally I want something a little thicker that I can tighten the bottoms in on that doesn't break the bank and was considering the SFU trousers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
Cant compare to Kiwis, as never had those. I have had several pairs of Fjallraven Forester trousers and rate the SFU's ( I have the ripstop and the twill versions ) over them - even before factoring in the substantial price difference. These are the best £25 I have ever spent on pants ( for me :) ).

The button fly does bug at times - but it was the fly zip that failed first on all the Foresters, so view as a positive over all.

I used their ECWCS parka over the weekend on a course - rain,. sleet, snow and brilliant sunshine - hugely comfy. So impressed I went for the Patriot fleece at 4.45 Pm last night from Heinnies - arrived at 9.30 this morning.

LoneWalker

Tenderfoot
Feb 8, 2014
Devon
Thanks very much for the replies. I'm definitely going to get some. Sound like just what I am after.

LoneWalker

Tenderfoot
Feb 8, 2014
Devon
I have also looked at getting an ECWCS parka as a back up waterproof to replace my knackered Montane Atomic, but was recommended a surplus MVP jacket as I was told it was a lot lighter and easier to pack small. Have you knowledge to compare the 2 as getting to look at Helikon gear is difficult. Cheers.

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
I will tell you in a few days as I ordered a pair of SFU trousers yesterday. I love my Kiwis and have several pairs of them. I wear them everyday as I find them comfortable, hard wearing and lightweight. Only issue I have with them is that they are not very windproof and I find I have to pop on my waterproofs to stop my legs from losing all the heat. However, if you get wet they dry out very quickly.

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
LW

I have a MVP jacket as well as the ECWCS. The Helikon is a tad heavier, cant tell you exact figures. Pack wise, not very much in it. The Helikon doesnt 'fold' quite as readily - I suspect down to the additional zips etc.

The big plus for me personally - I break into a sweat lifting a pint glass and generate sufficient surplus heat to delaminate goretex - is the Helikon gear has a really substantial and decent designed under arm ventilation zip. Not for everyone, but for me its a deal maker.

If you are a 'cool dude and stay dry' and every gram and mm of space counts, the MVP is possibly the one.

Observation on both - and appreciate its a,. just me and b. a symptom of these 'systemised' clothes - ie meant to be worn with matching trousers etc - both jackets are just a tad short.

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
I bought a Helikon Patriot fleece a couple of years ago when after a hooded fleece - I was an immediate fan of their gear and the value for money - in addition to 2 Patriots and a Gunfighter softshell , I now have 4 pairs of SFU trousers and wear them all the time, they are brilliant, comfortable, hardwearing, windproof, practical etc etc

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
I have both. The Helikon trousers are good but I find mine are prone to splitting stitching under the fly when squatting or kneeling.

The Kiwis have lasted years but admittedly I use these for walking trousers only never anything as dynamic as I wear the Helikons for. Button fly doesn't bother me.

lathe dog

Tenderfoot
Jul 25, 2010
Middlesex
I've a couple of pairs of the SFU's and for the price find them very good, the one thing I don't really like on them is the ties on the ankles, but easily sorted in a few minutes with some 3mm bungee cord and small cord locks.

Salaud

Nomad
Aug 24, 2011
isle of man
I also have both and far prefer the sfu's thicker material, but I also like the kiwis and tend to wear them for generally faffing about outside.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 4

Hedgecrafter

Nomad
Feb 23, 2014
Suffolk
On a side note...
You can put a draw string on any trousers simply by making a small slit on the inside of the hem and threading some gutted paracord through.

So don't base your purchase just on the draw string.
I've got a few helikon trousers. They won't last forever but I do like them. They actually wear much slower than they feel.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
I have both. The Helikon trousers are good but I find mine are prone to splitting stitching under the fly when squatting or kneeling.

yes if they used better thread and put another button or two on the fly and more belt loops they would be a lot better!!

LoneWalker

Tenderfoot
Feb 8, 2014
Devon
Thanks. I am going to get a pair to try out.

Appreciate the feedback on the ECWCS jacket Oakleaf. I run hot too and like the idea of pit zips.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE