Helikon, new kit on the block?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
I'd not heard of Helikon, but I'm impressed! I love looking in charity shops and managed to find 2 random and rare "Helikon" Items:

A 100% cotton Helikon shirt that looks like a shirt but is thick material, almost like a canvas.bought for about £3. (amazon sell this for £34)
http://hwesta.eu/clothes--shirts--defender/helikon-tex-defender-shirt-cotton-beige-khaki/

I also found a Tan coloured Jacket, which on close inspection has waterproof YKK zips, and taped seems, all of the features shouted "designed for something serious" then I found 3 more pockets with vecro removable black material patches which I initially thought were some sort of padding or storage for small things but turned out to be removable patches to quickly display security/police/military ID. Sadly it's minus the removable hood but I often wear a wide brimmed hat so it's no great loss. As it had no lables or names at all, not even washing ones I couldn't do a search on my phone. So, I bought it not knowing excatly what it was for £19.99 (selling for 80-109 euros on Amazon)
http://e-military.eu/home/2101-helikon-cougar-windblocker-jacket-coyote.html

Both Items are really well made cost me just over £20 in total, I think I've done quite well! :approve:

i didn't even know which country They had come from, I was a bit concerned that Helikon might be a cheap army "look-a-like knock" off "made for airsofters" sort of company, but there's no denying the clothing it's put together very well, unlike cheap copies you get in some surplus shops and market stalls.

I found that Helikon is a Polish company and I'm very impressed with the serious quality, attention to detail, and overall design of the 2 items I have....you know what I've found out they have a Bushcraft range of equipment!

TOP MARKS!!:cool:

this is their web page:
https://helikon-tex.com/#!/Home

Last edited:

cmarkod

Feb 18, 2016
Manchester
Good find. Charity shops are great for cheap gear. I got a pair of Karrimor SF cold weather boots that looked unworn for 2.50! Had a few good fleeces too.

Big G

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
Ya jammy sod.. got some bargains there :)

I bought a helikon-tex patriot fleece on here.. great fleece nice warm.. zipped pockets on arms and chest.

You hear a few bad reviews.. regarding the stitching.. could of been a bad batch or sum it.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
They've been around a while, and I've heard hit and miss reviews about the gear. I also have a Patriot fleece, good for the price IMO.

garethw

Settler
I've got a couple of pairs of their SFU combat trousers and they are very hard wearing, must have got the first pair six or seven years ago, and they only wore out last autumn after hundreds of washes.... also have the heavy duty Army fleece, again very nice quality and affordable.
cheers
Gareth

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
The launched their bushcraft line this year

picked up an essentials kit bag recently - nice kit

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I am a great fan of their Urban Tactical Pants in both denim and poly/cotton ripstop. I bought a pair of their Outdoor Tactical Pants recently and they are very nice. Also have one of their Trooper jackets which did me for 90% of my three week trip around the US west. I had two of the river guides I was with comment on the Trooper, asking what it was and where I got it, the pocket layout which seems so strange for some occasions works pretty well with a buoyancy aid.

Stuart put me on to their stuff and he has worn their kit on expeditions in Namibia and Borneo, as well as courses in the UK.

I like their stuff a lot, it fits me, it looks pretty good on me, its fabric and build is good and I like the designs that I have seen. There are some things to be aware of with the items I bought; the poly/cotton mix has a higher cotton content than the "normal" 65%poly/35%cotton, the nylon Outdoor Pants are going to be a little warm in warmer weather, maybe not ideal hot weather/tropics trousers, the slightly stretchy shell of the Trooper is not as shower proof as the wind-shell material used by Paramo, and finally, all their jackets and fleeces are rather heavy weight (weigh more) when compared to hiking clothing.

Great find in a charity shop!!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE