Hedgerow food?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Hi, I live near the coast in cornwall and there is a lot of farmland so there aren't really any forest areas to go looking for food in but there is a lot of hedgerow, so I was wondering what foods I should be looking for in hedgerow?

The only ones I know of that I've seen here is alexanders and gorse, I've not tired the alexanders yet but I tried the gorse petals and it just tasted like grass, when it's supposed to taste like coconut!

Are there any web-pages you guys could link for me with info about hedgerow food?

Thanks,
Asa.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I tripped across a Penzance one this morning trying to find seaweeds for a reply to a thread by Lostboy...........coastal though, but very good I thought.

http://www.pznow.co.uk/marine/redseaweed.html

Might make for an interesting wander, not many here talk of gathering and eating sea veggies.

I know the plants I see around me here, I don't know your area, hopefully someone will be along shortly to answer your original query :D

cheers,
Toddy

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
That edible seashore book looks quite good. The sea is a fair walk away though, which is why I am more interested in food from hedgerows.

pheasant plucker

Tenderfoot
Mar 4, 2007
Birmingham, England
Try the Collins gem food for free book, packed with info on what's edible and when it's available. Then if you use it with a good photographic plant guide you should'nt go far wrong ;-)
PP

Iona

Nomad
Mar 11, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Roger Phillips "Wild food" is good too, and has recipes and stuff. There's too much to go into, and without pics it's useless anyway. I got my copy cheap on Amazon a while back. Might be worth a look?

Mar 11, 2009
Dartmoor, Devon
Hi Asa,
I live in Devon but make a trip down cornwall fairly regularly.... You should be able 2 find Jack by the hedge, Navelwort, Stitchwort, Hawthorn leaves, and Ramsons..... plus others but that'll get you started! I know what your saying about gorse flowers but carry on trying them through the year - although they are always bitter you do get undertones of coconut when the suns been shining on them a while! As the others here have suggested a good guide is invaluable... 'Food for Free' is a classic by richard maybe. Good luck and enjoy!
:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE