Hedgehog help

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
My 7 year old son found this little fella yesterday next to a tree, he was covered in flies.

dscn1996bu5.jpg

We thought he was dead at first but after a closer inspection could see him breathing. I have kept him in a cardboard box and fed and watered him for a day now. We let him go (along with another hedgehog my dad came across in his garden) earlier this evening. Now, my Dads hedgehog was away immediately, but this one curled up into a ball and stayed put. I left him an hour but no joy. When he walks around his box he seems to wobble a bit, as if he may be injured, or drunk but any time I try to get a closer look he curls up into a ball again so I'm not sure.

I've read up a little on hedgehogs and know that they are suppose to hibernate around this time of year, and may re-appear on warmer days to eat a bit. Yesterday was a warm day so that would make sense.

He has had a bit of cat food, which apparently they like but doesnt seem any better. Anyone any ideas? If hes no better soon I was thinking of taking into the RSPCA.

Any helpful comments very welcome.

Cheers in advance....Stu

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
The RSPCA is an option I suppose, but they'll probably just put it down instead of trying to fix the poor fellah! Do you have a hedgehog sanctuary in your area?

janiepopps

Nomad
Jan 30, 2006
Heavenly Cornwall
I was at the vets a couple of years ago and a old fella brought in a hedgehog that had some ticks on (which the vet removed) they could possibly make them feel poorly.

Let us know how you get on

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
Just googled for a Hedgehog Sanctury close to me but as I don't drive theres nothing I'm afraid. The little fella is still asleep so I will try and have a better look soon and see if I can find any obvious signs of injury, but I have very little chance of catching just a glimpse of his legs unfortunately. I am going to ring the RSPCA tomorrow and also the vet practice that treat my dog and see if any of those could give some advice and not mention putting the critter asleep.

Fingers crossed :( ATB....Stu

h2o

Settler
Oct 1, 2007
ribble valley
by law if u find a wild animal injured the vet has to treat them for free!!you can just take it and leave it with local vets,the rspca will tell u this when /if u ring em,if u cant treat it yourself give it the vet
i took a pidgeon there recently they said if it survives theyll release it back into wild

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
by law if u find a wild animal injured the vet has to treat them for free!!you can just take it and leave it with local vets,the rspca will tell u this when /if u ring em,if u cant treat it yourself give it the vet
i took a pidgeon there recently they said if it survives theyll release it back into wild

Really? That's interesting to know!

:)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've eaten hedgehog, it's like pork, but not bacon, iirc. My dad cooked it, wrapped up in clay, in the fire. I was very little and just ate what I was told was good food. It was roadkill, happened right in front of us, it got clipped by a car and the blow to the head killed it.
I didn't know it was illegal, I thought they were like rabbits and sort of fair game :confused:

The prickles all peeled off with the baked clay, it looked like an inside out sea urchin.
Dad said never to pick them up or make pets of them because they are, "Flea ridden wee beasts."

At this point I would like to state I have been vegetarian for nearly thirty years.....and it wasn't the hedgehog's fault :rolleyes:
I like them bustling around in the garden, noisy though and they terrify my cat.

cheers,
Toddy

3 Cheers for the Hedgepig rescuer :You_Rock_

My first thought from the picture was that it didn't look like a full adult (difficult to tell without a size marker) ... so check this first:

AUTUMN JUVENILES
Small, underweight late born hedgehogs will either need extra feeding outside or may need to be taken indoors and looked after during the winter months. Any hedgehog weighing under 450gms (1lb) at around late October/November will not survive hibernation without some help. If taken indoors a warm box and regular food and water are essential. They may also need worming - see the British Hedgehog Preservation Society leaflets The Basic Facts or Caring for Hoglets. These hedgehogs can then be released back to the wild in the spring, see the British Hedgehog Preservation Society leaflet Into the Wild.
This was taken from http://www.britishhedgehogs.org.uk/FAQS/first_aid.htm - well worth reading!

Also worth checking out:
http://www.sttiggywinkles.org.uk/Emergencies/Hedgehogs/body_hedgehogs.htm

and

http://www.thehedgehog.co.uk/

If you find a sick, injured or baby hedgehog:

Advice can be obtained from BHPS on 01584 890801 during office hours

or The Hedgehog Helpline 029 2062 3985 at other times

Please ring one of the numbers above if you find a sick/injured or baby hedgehog or need urgent advice.
  • When you cannot contact a hedgehog rescue centre or carer immediately then Any sick or injured hedgehog should be taken to a local vet who will give basic emergency treatment free of charge.
  • If you cannot get to a vet then contact the RSPCA on their 24 hour emergency number 0870 55 55 999.

Y

yowee

Hedgehogs are gearing up for hibernation at this time of year, they will only survive if they have reached a weight that will allow them to hibernate, this needs to be about 600gms, less and they may not survive. They need to have somewhere to hibernate, they would normally make a nest themselves out of dried grass, moss and sticks etc. If they haven't done this it could be very hard for them, you can buy Hedgehog houses that are quite good.
Of greater concern is the wobbling you have written about, this may indicate a knock by a car or an illness. I would be inclined if you don't see an improvement to seek help from the RSPCA or one of the hedgehog societies like The British Hedgehog Preservation Society (BHPS) 01584 890801.
They are becoming increasingly rare so any help you can give them is a great thing.
I hope this helps

Cheers

Chris G

Settler
Mar 23, 2007
Cheshire
All the best with getting the little one better.

Here's one of those facts that stays with you: if you de-flea a hedgehog, it will die.

Chris

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Stu,

If you are struggling for transport then I will offer my services to take him to the nearest hedgehog rescue place. I just googled it and it came up with Rochdale. I'm available tomorrow afternoon from about 4pm.

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
Thanks for every post on this guys and girls.

PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING MAY UPSET SOME PEOPLE:

I spoke to the RSPCA at lunch time today (from the office phone) and they said to bring the critter in. I could have taken 2 buses to get there tomorrow without too much trouble but when I got back home this evening I'm afraid it was too late.

I'm not sure why the little fella passed away but I was able to get a much better look at him. One of his pads on his rear paw was riddled with small maggots, (which explains the wobble when he tried to walk) and it looks as though they had had a good go at one of his eyes too. They also seemed to be in his mouth and it looked as though they had eaten into his tongue. He had eaten a fair bit of cat food the night I brought him home so I'm unsure how long they were present there. His whole head seemed to be infestated with the b*stards including his ears.

I left him in the back yard in my wood pile with a platic carrier bag to keep out the rain and ripped newspaper for bedding. There were a few slugs in there for food and my yard puddles a bit when the rain falls so he had food and water.

I'm a little p*ss*d off in all honesty, I tried my best and failed. I suppose it's only nature being cruel, as only nature can be. I recently turned the big 3 0 and my mates chipped in to get me driving lessons, which I will be starting very soon, so hopefully in the future if I come across a wild one in need I can act a bit faster.

Matt Weir you are a gent, thank you.

ATB....Stu

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
So sorry to hear that Stu. Seems the poor wee sod was too far gone and it's better not to suffer, you did what you could - such is life as you say mate.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE