Hedgehog Fungus

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JM

Forager
Sep 9, 2003
Left
Hi friends, I do not know if it is of interest to you, but I continue my little visit of different mushrooms:

Here is today's collection of Hedgehog Fungus, Hydnum Repandum, Pied de Mouton (Sheep Foot) in French.
They are slightly bitter raw, but excellent once cooked.
They grow under large leaves trees and pines often in troops.
None of similar caracterized mushrooms are dangerous.

the top has a clear cream or white color: (oops, dirty forager's nails)
dsc02878.jpg

Bottom shows a large foot, spines in place of gills, inrolled and often wavy margin.
The flesh is brittle like chalk
dsc02879.jpg

dsc02880.jpg

A reasonably large bag of them today.
dsc02881.jpg

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
The more you post the more I get interested in fungi. So do keep it up. That is a fascinating one. Never heard of it before.

JM

Forager
Sep 9, 2003
Left
Great, I'll continue then !

Like giroles/chanterelles, this is the kind of fungi whose you only see the top or part of it when looking for them, the rest being often burried under leaves.

The spines do actually look like small stalagtites. people usually remove them before cooking, because they break and are not good looking in final plate.

Te great advantage is that they are hard to take for another specie and they have no false friends.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE