Hedgehog Fungus

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chris68

Feb 27, 2011
Norway
Found a nice Hedgehog fungus (Hydnum repandum) when out wandering in the woods yesterday. What's the best way to prepare them? I usually slice and saute most mushrooms I find, but I heard this variety lends itself more to soups. Any suggestions from folk that experience with them?

hedgehog fungus by noonejc, on Flickr

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Mushrooms and simplicity are the best combination. So, my advice would be cook in butter, salt and pepper in a pan and have on some thick buttered toast!

Take off those little spines on the underside of the cap too, they can be bitter and a bit rank at times. I know some people ignore them but I remember being specifically told by my tech teacher when I was a lad in school (who brought me in a large bag of them!) to always take them off.

Chris68

Feb 27, 2011
Norway
Mushrooms and simplicity are the best combination. So, my advice would be cook in butter, salt and pepper in a pan and have on some thick buttered toast!

Take off those little spines on the underside of the cap too, they can be bitter and a bit rank at times. I know some people ignore them but I remember being specifically told by my tech teacher when I was a lad in school (who brought me in a large bag of them!) to always take them off.

Yep, that's about what I usually do with the other varieties I find. Thanks for the tip about removing the spines!

Chris68

Feb 27, 2011
Norway
Well, I prepared them as described above, but with the addition of a pinch of cayenne pepper, and they were outstanding... what a great tasting mushroom. I'm going to be on the lookout for these from here on out.

Husky

Nomad
Oct 22, 2008
Sweden, Småland
Here in Sweden where chanterelle is considered by most people to be the no1 eating fungus the hedgehog is considered no 2.
Just do what you like best and it will probably be delicious!

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Good to hear you liked it mate! I too add the odd chilli essence to my simple shrooms! :)

Lately I've found myself eating alot of shi take mushrooms, bought from the shop but such a meaty (and garlicy!) old shroom it goes really really well as a booster to egg noodles/chow mein dieshes. Lol, they make your bathroom honk of garlic too if you get what I mean! ;)

Keep us updated on your findings dude, I'd love to see a 'woods walk and find' thread with a finale of 'on the plate'.. I'm such a nerd. :D

Last edited:

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I've heard they can be a bit bitter but I've never heard about removing their spines or found them at all bitter when fresh and cooked. They are one of my favourite 'shrooms and I just cook them simply fried.

I have a recipe of them fried with shallots, paprika, cream and calvados that sounds good but I don't find many down here.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE