Heavy rain tarp and fire question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
We call it "Kohte" (Koota) in Germany, because Eberhard Koebel, called tusk, created his portable fire tent after visiting northern Finland nearly hundred years ago.

Is it called in Sweden or Norway a Lavvu or is this simply an orthographic fault and it's called everywhere in Skandinavia LAAAAAVU ?

Last edited:
Reactions: LarryBass
Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Something we started doing last winter was to take an additional small cheap tarp (nasty poundshop thing) and set that up over the fire. That way your main tarp can be set up to keep the wind and rain off you the best and the fire can be set somewhere appropriate (depending on wind and how cold it is) and still be covered from the worst of the rain. We even set it up higher one time so we could cook over the fire and keep dry.

I went on a survival course many years back where it rained torrentially for the whole week. We were issued with the old british 58 pattern ponchos, and told to erect them over our fires. I put mine a few meters above, and it provided sufficient shelter to the fire to enable it to keep burning all of the night outside of my natural shelter with relatively little input from me (it was early January, and we were not allowed sleeping bags or more than two layers of clothing!). From the colour and smell of the ponchos they had been used in a similar fashion on multiple occasions, and surprisingly they were pretty much hole free....

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Is it called in Sweden or Norway a Lavvu or is this simply an orthographic fault and it's called everywhere in Skandinavia LAAAAAVU
I really don't know. There are two kinds of "kota" one more permanent and one travelling version the lighter one seems to be called "lavvu" in some circles. I think that various versions of Sami languages are only limitedly mutually understandable. Then there are the Swedish, Norwegian and Finnish versions on top of that. There are actually various living traditions among the Sami as not all were mainly reindeer herders which started in the 1600s anyway, so relatively late.

In main line Finnish the terms have fairly stable usage, all other vary. ;)

Reactions: Erbswurst

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE