Heavy dutuy waterproof jacket recs?

haptalaon

Tenderfoot
Nov 16, 2023
South Wales
Been sent here by my husband - he's about to start an outdoorsy job & wants to invest in a serious waterproof jacket & waterproof trousers, at a max budget of £600 for the pair.

We're in Wales, so the rain slaps you about and comes down in miserable waves, & he says he's not worried about warm as much because he can put layers underneath & wants something he can use on warm days.

I looked up goretex but then had sticker shock - I'm ok to put money into a quality garment, but does anyone have guidance on what to look for?

Chris

Life Member
Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
Been sent here by my husband - he's about to start an outdoorsy job & wants to invest in a serious waterproof jacket & waterproof trousers, at a max budget of £600 for the pair.

We're in Wales, so the rain slaps you about and comes down in miserable waves, & he says he's not worried about warm as much because he can put layers underneath & wants something he can use on warm days.

I looked up goretex but then had sticker shock - I'm ok to put money into a quality garment, but does anyone have guidance on what to look for?

Gore-Tex is often expensive but it is very good. Gore-Tex Pro especially.

This is a great jacket, especially for this price:

These are great trousers:

Pokem28

Jun 6, 2011
Staffordshire

I have worn Kaiwaka Stormforce in farming for about the last 10 years and for toughness and waterproofing, I think it’s very hard to beat

EdS

Forget fancy stuff for work. It will get scuffed and snagged.

Got to the local farm suppliers as see what the locals wear.

Here Delamere stuff is common and cheap

That said I've had one of these for 3 season of beating...in some rough wood and exposed fells

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
That's a great question!

It's like, forestry and coppicing with some woodwork, so plenty of moving your arms about plus some walking
Sounds like hard work, but fun and great to be outdoors. Does he have any contacts in the group he'll be working in to see what they use? I can imagine there being a few recommendations that are tried and tested but may not be mainstream.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Forget fancy stuff for work. It will get scuffed and snagged.

Got to the local farm suppliers as see what the locals wear.

Here Delamere stuff is common and cheap

That said I've had one of these for 3 season of beating...in some rough wood and exposed fells

<AOL> Me too. Mine is the hood less unlined one though. It’s served for 4 or 5 years in my case, beating and rabbiting. My jacket is showing its age though, so a new one ( mine was still in its wrapping) will be on my shopping list soon.

chjo

Tenderfoot
Dec 6, 2009
cumbria
You can't go wrong with work wear, farmers wouldnt be buying clothing if they were not fit for purpose. I have a bog standard hi viz lined jacket from screwfix as well as a number of branded jackets, it's the 1 I choose when the rain is torrential and I am going out with the dogs for a few hours as it keeps me dry.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Another vote for the local farm supplies. These guys all wander about in the same gear, year in year out, gilets or body warmers, Hoggs of Fife check shirts, waxed canvas jackets, lot of Ridgeline stuff for the shepherds who are really out in horrible weather but not over exerting, usually motoring about on a quad.

It seems to be the same stuff in all the shops, there’s probably a reason for this, it works fine and doesn’t break the bank.

Hoggs stuff isn’t bad, I love their shirts and I’ve got a waterproof smock. I put a Fjallraven fox logo on the smock, people ask me what type it is and start googling :D

• Haha
Reactions: GreyCat

Chris

Life Member
Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
Hoggs stuff isn’t bad, I love their shirts and I’ve got a waterproof smock. I put a Fjallraven fox logo on the smock, people ask me what type it is and start googling :D

I’ve been eyeing up a couple of their brushed cotton flannel shirts. Brilliant reviews and 1/3 of the price of the leading ‘outdoor’ brands.

Reactions: Nice65

The puffin squire

May 19, 2020
Kent
Spent best part of 40 years working outside in all weathers. No waterproofs will keep you completely dry if active and working. For affordability. Practicality ease of movement etc you can't beat Jack Pyke imo.

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
One of the lightweight wax cotton jackets or as mentioned above a few times see what others are using/ farmer supplies. Who wear the stuff all day long.

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
I have a deerhunter gamekeeper jacket and it’s bloody bombproof, the quality is like no other goretex jacket.

I’m going to buy more and in different sizes as with everything it will get discontinued and I don’t want to miss the quality. I usually buy one size up in a waterproof shell jacket so it goes over base layers but it’s pretty roomy.

I seriously recommend looking at those!

Great egret

Apr 17, 2017
Netherlands
Personally, i'd stay away from goretex (or any other breathable layer). Another local farm supplies vote from me. You could also look at waterproof biking gear.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE