Heating a tent

Wintrup

Forager
Nov 5, 2005
London
I've just gone back and really read this; how cool an idea is that? :D
So simple, plant pots, nuts, washers and a big bolt, sorted :cool: And, it catches the soot as well.
I like the company ethos too.
Nice find, Wintrup :)
cheers,
Toddy

I reckon this is the bees knees. A smaller version would be ideal for my Hex 3. It would warm the tent up nicely throughout the evening for next to no money. I'd just blow it out prior to bedtime and luxuriate in the radiant heat.

I would happily send $30 his way for one of his inventions, but it doesn't look like he ships to the UK. So, failing that, I'm going to attempt to build something similar. I reckon iron nuts and bolts would be a better bet than steel, as it conducts and retains heat better. The only tricky bit is making the stand, but I'll bodge something together. How about you? Maybe we can compare notes?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've been checking my mini plant pot stash......I've got loads :D If you are missing the little inside ones, let me know and I'll send a set. I've got from 1cm upwards (12th scale minatures) but I reckon I'm going to start with a 1"one. HWMBLT thinks I'm nuts but has gone to find the tub of nuts and bolts :cool:

The metal frame...hmmm, I'm thinking of bending it out of fencing wire, and if I use a clay plant pot saucer as the base too then that ought to hold the jar safely and catch any wax spills, as well as giving me something to wrap the wire around.

cheers,
Toddy

Wintrup

Forager
Nov 5, 2005
London
couldn't find a real small one, probably have a rummage around my dad's shed this weekend. I bought two the same size and one large. I'm thinking instead of have smaller pots arranged concentrically, I might stack 3 pots of the same size. This may even work better as the heated air will be effectively trapped due to the lips of the pot over lapping the one underneath. I'll take a picture when I'm done.

First things first. I need to make a stand for the the heat catcher that I've already made and then test the thing.

I'll report back later with my findings.

Prophecy

Settler
Dec 12, 2007
Italy
How about using a Bushlite, or a UCO Candle Lantern?

Santa's bringin' me a Bushlit Kit and I'm hoping that will help raise take the edge off a cold tent!

Apr 2, 2007
lincs
hi ric

i would be very interested in how you get on with origo 5100 heater - i considered one for a tipi arran 5 . I went for one of chis randall 's exelent fire boxes with a top that you can use a kk on see www.canoepaddler.me.uk
I am verry happy wilth the fire box but would be interested in a 5100 for sites with a no fire rule

regards
cliff

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
hi ric

i would be very interested in how you get on with origo 5100 heater - i considered one for a tipi arran 5 . I went for one of chis randall 's exelent fire boxes with a top that you can use a kk on see www.canoepaddler.me.uk
I am verry happy wilth the fire box but would be interested in a 5100 for sites with a no fire rule

regards
cliff

Hi Cliff
I use a Hex 3 at the moment (Tundra 8 in the new year) so an open flame is a no no. The Origo is not cheap to run but its very safe and spill proof, ideal for UK winters. I'll buy the stove sold with the Bison Tundra to be honest, and the Origo for when I use the Hex, but the fire boxes you linked to look very good

The Origo pumps out around a kilowatt of heat I think, so I guess it could certainly take the chill out of the air in a bigger tent?

Richard

Hi Cliff

The Origo pumps out around a kilowatt of heat I think, so I guess it could certainly take the chill out of the air in a bigger tent?

Richard

I use a heatpal burner (without the remainder of the stove as it was too dear), it cost £25 and operates like a glorified trianga burner. I use mine for winter camping in a Tinde 8. Points to consider and useful tips:

* It is expensive to run
* It glows red after a while and really does heat up a huge tent(think Glen Etive in Febuary)
*You can cook on the top of it with a minor alteration
* The smell of burning meths in a closed tent is appalling, hurts your eyes, alters your taste buds so the door or vent must be open to use.
*Cover the whole burner in an upside down stainless steel pasta pot liner drainer from ikea and use this as your stove top.

Alternatives to consider are :

* petrol stove-I've tried a whsiperlite international, it works too and is not too dangerous in a huge tent!
* Petrol lantern-this is what the marines used in the arctic, safer and may be worth considering as they pump out a lot of heat.
*Charcoal in an old pot-works and aslong as the pot is covered is easy and safe to use overnight in huge tipii.

Woodsmoke

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Never saw the plant pot radiator before. I reckon one of those on top of a hobo stove that has burning charcoal in after cooking would bang some lovely heat out.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I use a heatpal burner (without the remainder of the stove as it was too dear), it cost £25 and operates like a glorified trianga burner. I use mine for winter camping in a Tinde 8. Points to consider and useful tips:

* It is expensive to run
* It glows red after a while and really does heat up a huge tent(think Glen Etive in Febuary)
*You can cook on the top of it with a minor alteration
* The smell of burning meths in a closed tent is appalling, hurts your eyes, alters your taste buds so the door or vent must be open to use.
*Cover the whole burner in an upside down stainless steel pasta pot liner drainer from ikea and use this as your stove top.

Alternatives to consider are :

* petrol stove-I've tried a whsiperlite international, it works too and is not too dangerous in a huge tent!
* Petrol lantern-this is what the marines used in the arctic, safer and may be worth considering as they pump out a lot of heat.
*Charcoal in an old pot-works and aslong as the pot is covered is easy and safe to use overnight in huge tipii.

Woodsmoke

Cheers for the run down. My only concern is the smell, but the Hex 3 is well vented. I've several Coleman petrol lanterns and half a dozen Vapalux lanterns, but they are too big to use in the Hex (but will be fine in my Tundra 8 in a few months). I have the MSR WI but to be honest, as a stove collector, I don't think much to the build quality (lot of pump failure with this and other MSR models) and prefer Primus or Optimus products. I'm looking at the Heatpal as something that I will only use in the Hex, or eventualy the Tundra if I'm not using a wood burner. The price of meths also makes the HP expensive to run, even buying in bulk its about £2.20 a litre. How many hours to you think you get on a full tank?

Richard

I prefer a wood burner:)

BigHornStove1.jpg

I see your design (like many others) is an open flue design. When the tent door is sealed, you will have reduced airflow up the chimney. Is carbon monoxide poisoning a concern?

Has anyone considered a light weight heat-exchanger system?

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
I see your design (like many others) is an open flue design. When the tent door is sealed, you will have reduced airflow up the chimney. Is carbon monoxide poisoning a concern?

Has anyone considered a light weight heat-exchanger system?

Providing the tent has been designed to have a stove and the heater is air tight, monoxide poisoning should not be an issue.

If you look closely at the picture below you will see two triangular air vents behind the middle guy ropes, there are another two on the other side which allow sufficient air flow when the door is closed. I am sure that teepee's have a similar arrangement.

BigHornSideview.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE