Heating a tent

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
With the February camp coming up, I've been thinking about a heater for my Hex 3, open fires are a no no, so I dug out this little beauty from the back of one of my stove cuboards, gave it a little fettle, and it works fine. Pumps out a load of heat, and will work fine I think, left just outside the doorway.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Love it...How many stoves do you have Rik...?

Hi John, to be honest, I have got rid of a lot of stove this last year, I guess I have around 50 left now

If any of you have the silent burner Optimus 111, a standard tea strainer rests over the burner like its was designed for it, a tin foil reflector in the lid and away you go

111stove.jpg

Fin, sounds like a good idea, I love the 123, great stoves, and they have started making them again
http://www.coastlineadventures.com/...en=PROD&Store_Code=00001&Product_Code=54-123R

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I haven't seen one of those parabolic stoves thingies for years :cool: A real blast from the past, we used them camping when I was a child and to help dry off the canvas sails. Between the tilley lamp and the stove we were warm and snug even when it poured in Winter.
I'm old enough that the smell of warm paraffin is a defining comfort smell of childhood.
Good kit; thanks for the links.
I don't suppose you know of a source of those little round paraffin stoves that folks used to leave lit in the bathroom at night to stop pipes freezing, do you? Looked like thick flying saucers.

Cheers,
Toddy

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Just be careful if you're firing up a stove in an enclosed space - there is a risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. Although in a palace such as a Hex 3, probably not that big a risk.

Now, in my tent (Macpac Microlight), all you need is a candle... ;)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I wouldn't chance anything with a flame in a Hex 3. I've been thinking about a Campingaz Catalytic heater though, they'd do the trick.

And they've now bought out a catalytic stove, that could be dual purpose.

http://www.bluedome.co.uk/TrailWalk/trailwalk3.cfm?review=184&mascat=29&subcat=72

The heater won't be in the tent as is, just the doorway and the radiant heat will do the trick. Catalytic stoves I thought had been around a few years now? Not sure though, I don't collect gas stoves really, just liquid fuel types The Coleman portable heater has been around ages and they work quite well, although a little expensive to run in my experience of using one of them.

You are right about using open flame products in a Hex, or any tent for that matter, maximum care MUST be used at all times, as indeed, I do.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I wouldn't chance anything with a flame in a Hex 3. I've been thinking about a Campingaz Catalytic heater though, they'd do the trick.

And they've now bought out a catalytic stove, that could be dual purpose.

http://www.bluedome.co.uk/TrailWalk/trailwalk3.cfm?review=184&mascat=29&subcat=72

I've got a couple of those CAT stoves and they are brilliant :D
They have never failed to start, never clogged, never blown out, no soot on pots or bags, easy to find refills and really good amounts of heat. The only downsides are that it's kind of heavy and it takes about 20 minutes to get cold. Really just long enough to finish tea or dinner though :rolleyes:

Thanks for the link Rik, I was thinking about using one in my tipi or the geodesic dome.

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I found this really interesting little contraption that was recommended on another forum. It looks like a series of clay pots bolted together to trap and radiate heat.

http://www.heatstick.com/

What do you reckon?

I've just gone back and really read this; how cool an idea is that? :D
So simple, plant pots, nuts, washers and a big bolt, sorted :cool: And, it catches the soot as well.
I like the company ethos too.
Nice find, Wintrup :)

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE