Heat treating stainless steel...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
Hi guys,

Not sure if this is in the right section but I'm planning on heat treating some stainless steel for a new blade. I was wondering if it is exactly the same as heat treating O1?? Same temps etc?

Shaped me a lovely new blank, and although the steel was already much tougher than O1, I wonder if I messed up the temper during the cutting process so I just want to eliminate this chance by re-heat treating.

Any info would be great, cheers guys...

Pabs.

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
cheers for the link tadpole...it seems all that time shaping and grinding has been a waste of time *doh*! it was my best one so far too...haha oh well, typical! I dont even know what type of SS it is so i guess im off to a losing start straight away.

cheers once again.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
cheers for the link tadpole...it seems all that time shaping and grinding has been a waste of time *doh*! it was my best one so far too...haha oh well, typical! I dont even know what type of SS it is so i guess im off to a losing start straight away.

If you don't know what type of stainless it is, then you're essentially stuffed. Where did you get it? Do you know that it's suitable for a knife blade? Steels used for table cutlery (typically 304) won't take a decent edge. There are dozens of really good stainless steels suitable for knife blades, and they can have remarkably different properties. Heat treating them is a job for porfessionals, you don't have the equipment at home. Think jars of liquid nitrogen for example.

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
cheers ged...i got hold of a few stainless steel shims used to shim/level 40 ton generators. when i had a play around with them they seemed so much harder than normal O1, but i have no clue what SS they are. It wasnt a complete waste of time as I practiced skills and found a shape that seems to feel really nice in the hand. i can just transfer this shape to an O1 blank...

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
You can always have a go and see what happens, that would be better than just abandoning it in my opinion...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE