Heat proofing a mug handle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
While poking around a army stores in Bolton I found a box of 3/4 pint stainless steel mugs with stein lids (removable). They seemed just what I was looking for quick half pint brew ups on my Pocket Rocket or Click-stand/Trangia. However the mug type handle would of course need insulating, as would where I want to sip from.

Is there any better method than the layers of black tape of my youth?

If I wasn't such a Luddite I'd put up a photo, they are very well made unissued WD jobs (all dated between 1949 and 1953 with a stores code of K.F. 1612 as it happens) and at two quid a pop a real bargain. I made the mistake of looking up the code and they are "Cups, Spit" but since they were still in their grease I'm not worried about getting TB off them!

All the best

Tom

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I've done this sort of thing by wrapping paracord round a cup handle to gine some protection from the heat. Not quite sure what you can do about the lip other than let the liquid cool a bit. :rolleyes:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Several layers of wool or cotton yarn could replace paracord if you want to be "hardcore bushy" and I have seen beautiful leather covered handles...
as to the burned lips...tape is all I can come up with!

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Something like the handle on this...

719215.jpg

I know its a knife and not a cup handle but its done the same, my father used to repair golf clubs and did the "whipping" on em where the shaft joined the head.

Same thing but using thicker string.

oops56

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 14, 2005
proctor vt.
Now do as i say not as i done ;) football mouth guard when soften it will mold a round the lip of cup. O K i mess my up the water was at a boil it melted to much but i saved it just put in hot water or just warm its got to get real soft so you can mold it to the cup plus keep you finger out of the camera lens P S as for hot handles don't you have gloves with you lots of things got hot when camping like a hot frying pan over a open fire

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Fantastic idea Oops, but Isn't there a danger of the mouth guard melting if you let the cup heat up too much?

Adam

Gah, why don't I ever think up brilliant ideas like that on my own? *bangs head on desk*

oops56

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 14, 2005
proctor vt.
addyb said:
Fantastic idea Oops, but Isn't there a danger of the mouth guard melting if you let the cup heat up too much?

Adam

Gah, why don't I ever think up brilliant ideas like that on my own? *bangs head on desk*

put on ofter you take off stove

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Hi Tom, welcome aboard.
I'll go with the same as Oops56 - a pair of good gloves. As for the scalded lips - either don't make it so hot or keep the hottest coffee for wafting around the campsite to the envy of the other campers ;)

ATB

Ogri the trog

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Thanks folks
some great ideas there. The one failing of the mug is the handles a bit narrow (and of course the weight but I can live with that) so with podgy nature of my fingers and the gloves I favour (thick old German army leather ones) wrapping the handle will seem the best option.

I've just aquired a balsa strip cutter and that should do a excellent, fine, leather strip for binding the handle.

threequarterpintmug1.jpg

Sorry about the picture, the mugs still wonderfully shiny so I had to be careful of glare.

ATB

Tom

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I've always used electricians tape on the rims of my metal mugs. Works just fine - even on the fire!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE