Heads Up - Stockport Canoe/kayak shop reopening event

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jim_aramis

Forager
Aug 28, 2005
East Cheshire
Just got wind of this, Brookbank canoes in Stockport are reopening at larger premises on 19th June.

The website says 'Come and join us for a drink, a bite to eat and a look around our massive stock of boats and kit in our spacious new showroom. We also have a talk and film show by leading whitewater expedition paddler Daz Clarkson'.

Apparently Daz Clarkson is an expedition paddler and has kayaked all the rivers running from Mount Everest. It sounds like an interesting talk and starts from 8pm.

http://www.brookbankcanoes.co.uk/

I have no connection to the company or experiance of dealing with them but will be popping down to see the talk.

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
Just got wind of this, Brookbank canoes in Stockport are reopening at larger premises on 19th June.

The website says 'Come and join us for a drink, a bite to eat and a look around our massive stock of boats and kit in our spacious new showroom. We also have a talk and film show by leading whitewater expedition paddler Daz Clarkson'.

Apparently Daz Clarkson is an expedition paddler and has kayaked all the rivers running from Mount Everest. It sounds like an interesting talk and starts from 8pm.

http://www.brookbankcanoes.co.uk/

I have no connection to the company or experiance of dealing with them but will be popping down to see the talk.

I have used Brookbank a few times. They are a bit pricey but they know what they are talking about.

One thing though if you are trying to find the place. I went to there new place the Saturday before last (they were still unpacking) and there was no sign on the outside of the building but it is the building on the left hand side of the road with the concrete barriers cutting of the car park, well apart from the gap big enough to get into.

That said they might have the sign up now.

Jim_aramis

Forager
Aug 28, 2005
East Cheshire
Cheers clcuckow

When me and a friend started out kayaking last year my friend visited the store. He said they were very helpful but pricey like you say.

I have a broken hand at the moment so I'm restricted to window shopping and a little retail therapy.

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
Yes they charge £529.00 for a Pelican Colorado and I got mine from just under £300 from Costco. Not really fair but they are very helpful and I would not have had to assemble it myself in the car park!

Jim_aramis

Forager
Aug 28, 2005
East Cheshire
Yes they charge £529.00 for a Pelican Colorado and I got mine from just under £300 from Costco. Not really fair but they are very helpful and I would not have had to assemble it myself in the car park!

LOL

If I went to Brookbank I wouldnt need to buy a roof rack. I'd be able to paddle home up the Mersey/Goyt.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Im in stockport. I don't canoe or kayak but do you know of any clubs nearby where you can train (and preferably rent stuff seems as I have none!)

Jim_aramis

Forager
Aug 28, 2005
East Cheshire
Im in stockport. I don't canoe or kayak but do you know of any clubs nearby where you can train (and preferably rent stuff seems as I have none!)

Brookbank canoes do canoe/kayak hire and a selection of courses. I'm sure I read on their website somewhere about beginner sessions run on Roman Lakes in Marple but can't find a link.

http://www.brookbankcanoes.co.uk/services/canoe-hire-kayak-hire-and-demos

There is also Manchester Canoe club based in Marple along a nice stretch of the river Goyt. They run a number of courses for a very reasonable price.

http://www.manchestercanoeclub.org.uk/

I've paddled past the club in marple but am not a member, I plan on going on a few courses though in the future. I have a broken hand at the moment so everything is on hold for the next month at least.

I only started out last year and picked up a kayak for £25 on ebay, the local papers and loot are good for picking up a bargain if you're not fussy (my kayak is orange faded to a pinky colour). All my accessories were bought from decathlon and came in under £100 including kayak.

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
I'm also in Stockport and am thinking of getting into canoeing, I've been to Brookbank before they have some nice kit, thanks for the info on the canoe club in Marple Jim.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE