Heads up on Swedish gas mask bags

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
During WWII, Sweden thought Germany was going to invade, and went into high production on excellent quality military equipment. Much of it was recently sold as surplus. One of the best bits was gas mask bags made of heavy canvas with leather bottoms. I bought some online some time ago, but they were in such poor condition that I sent them back, and then there were no more to be found.

Recently, I saw them advertised again, and ordered three:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/used-swedish-military-surplus-shoulder-bag?a=1715812

All three are in excellent condition and well worth the price. They only needed an application of leather conditioner. My daughter even wanted one for a purse. Presumably a new batch has been found in some warehouse and released to surplus. If they're available here in the US, hopefully some European dealers will have also gotten some.

My experience with military surplus is that you have to be quick when good stuff hits the market. Once it's gone, it's usually gone for good. I have a Swedish mess kit, canteen, axe and mittens, a German flecktarn parka and mittens, an Italian 2-liter canteen, a Polish bread bag and rain cape/tent and an Belgian wool sweater that all fall into that category - I now wish I had bought spares when I had the chance.

The gas mask bags I have are stamped with a single crown and "FKA". If my internet research is correct, that dates them to 1937-1940. How many modern nylon bags will still be going strong after three-quarters of a century?

Last edited:

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
I sold my one at the moot this month, great piece of kit. I used it as my food bag on the Daniel Boone challenge last September, and a few times since, you amazing what you can fit in it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE