Heads Up free SAS Survival Handbook

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tracker1972

Forager
Jun 21, 2008
Matlock
I've got an actual copy but tried the download anyway. I'm not quite as sure about the 100% legal bit though. If it was is have thought that this bit would have been edited although I'm happy to be proven wrong...
Edit-actually it doesn't say permission has, or hasn't been granted does it. Still, I'm a little suspect...
087a18f74494f548928004d13a1beb42.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited:

FoxyRick

Forager
Feb 11, 2007
Rossendale, England
I'm curious if it's legit too. Sites are still selling the digital copy. It's supposedly released under the Creative Commons license, and specifically allows free sharing and sharing of adapted versions of it. Hmmm. I personally wouldn't release something like that, even if I wanted to give it away for free.

There's been a dodgy digital copy floating around on the 'net for years, but this (hopefully) proper pdf copy is much better quality.

I have two copies of the paper book, and even the android app. A good PC readable version is nice to have.

SiWhite

Nomad
Apr 1, 2007
Deepest North Hampshire
Thanks for the link. Normally I steer clear of copies without a certain legitimacy, but as I paid for a hard copy some years ago I figure that I'm not denying the author any royalties...

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
I've had that book for almost a decade now, and it wasn't expensive at all back then.
If there's uncertainty around the legitimacy of the free digital version, then you won't have to sell your house to buy it legitimately anyway.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I'm curious if it's legit too. Sites are still selling the digital copy. It's supposedly released under the Creative Commons license, and specifically allows free sharing and sharing of adapted versions of it. Hmmm. I personally wouldn't release something like that, even if I wanted to give it away for free.

If so (adapted versions ok) I can have a version without some of the insanity. First on the list would be the taste test for edible plants: it was a common insanity in the 80's but still on the list as "better than a certain death": try it with cowbane (Cicuta viosa) and report back. Or some of the more exiting fungi...

FoxyRick

Forager
Feb 11, 2007
Rossendale, England
Interestingly, the licensing information on the download page has now changed to say 'no derivatives'. Hmm... maybe they read what I said here. It definitely said adapted versions could be shared before; I read it several times because I thought it so unusual.

Technically, that means I could share adapted versions since those were the terms in force when I downloaded it... if it's legit at all that is.

Anyway, the pdf is an image scan by the looks of it, not OCR'd to text unfortunately, so isn't exactly easy to modify anyway.

Edit: Ignore that sentence, it's available in a 'pdf with text' version too, which is text converted. Nice! It's really slow to scroll that version in PhantomPDF though... I've seen that sometimes. I might reencode it some time.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE