Heads up for Bushcraft in Newcastle/Gateshead region

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Ok, time is getting short and I would hate for people on here to miss out on a fairly rare opportunity just through me dithering!

I have contacted Tony Bristow in regard to these events and we are currently sorting something out re: working together i.e. BCUK & F.o.C.W. but I just thought that I should get moving, in order to give as many people on here the chance to attend, at least the first event, as possible.

So here goes:
The Friends of Chopwell Wood have looked after the conservation/recreation and education side of things here for about 14 years (I think!) in very close association with the Forestry Commission. They organise and run all sorts of activities involving maintenance, school groups, craft events, litter clearance, working with excluded kids, deaf awareness issues etc etc.
All funds raised, go back into helping maintain the wood, training, equipment, admin etc. it's all totally non profit, voluntary work. F.o.C.W. have no paid staff.

Myself and a small sub group ( which now includes Eric Methven!) have run bushcraft introduction sessions for about 4 years-basically; small "taster", 4 hr bushcraft events here at Chopwell wood.
These have been aimed at families and "joe public" they have been very popular when advertised properly, but have proved too popular at times, with over booking and groups of 25-30, including kids as young as three, being dragged along. These events have been enjoyable but not something I would now choose to do more than once or twice a year. You simply can't get any real teaching done and serious tool use is almost out of the question.

So,after quite a bit of chatter and persuasion, I have finally gotten through to both F.C. and F.o.C.W. that bushcraft is not just about "den building" and should be regarded as a more serious subject, at least as credible as a "fungal foray" or "food for free" event.

I have come up with a series of three events, of 7 hrs duration (all day) which offer the chance for folk who would like to sample some bushcraft related skills and activities, without the problems of large groups ( max 15 places) and also the chance to use some of the basic tools of bushcraft-knife, saw and firesteel, something we can't really do safely with kids running around.

The first event is:

02 March 2008 - Tenderfoot Day-(not very original title I know)- basic skills-shelter building, fire lighting, tool handling, simple tree and plant i.d., spotting and gathering useful materials from nature etc.
the cost is £30 per person-all funds go straight back into the F.o.C.W./ F.C. pot.
You MUST book in advance through Hamsterly Forest shop/office. details on focw website.

for details of the other events just Google or Yahoo focw and then have a look at the bushcraft page. ( design nothing to do with me!)

As I say, I hope this is okay to post and sorry for it being a bit long winded

best wishes
R.B.

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Thanks for posting that Steve. Just to make it easier fo those who want to take a look, the Friends of Chopwell Woods bushcraft section is HERE.

If you want to book a place, phone the Forestry Commission on 01388 488312 as soon as possible as places are limited. This is a very friendly hands on event and great as an introduction to bushcraft skills.

Friends of Chopwell Woods is a very worthy group who have looked after and helped manage a beautiful piece of mainly broadleaf woodland for many years. That's why I not only support them, but why I'm prepared to give my time freely to further their aims. Chopwell is a brilliant woods, great atmosphere and it's old - really old, like thousands of years old, and you can tell when you're sitting under a tree making a brew. The place just has something about it.

I've also posted a link to this thread over on British Blades.

Eric

rancid badger

Many thanks to Tony and BCUK for their support of our fund raising efforts.

If anyone has any queries relating to our events at Chopwell, feel free to ask either myself or Eric. The info on the F.o.C.W. site is a bit sketchy although I will be updating their blog with a lot more info over the next few days.

Best wishes
Steve

rancid badger

Just a bit of a warning relating to the current bushcraft information on the F.C. website; I checked it yesterday evening as I had been talking to Kielder districts Head Ranger and he said that the Chopwell info was now posted.

It's a right mess! they've missed our first event, got the forager right, missed the bark container workshop altogether and got us down for a spoon carving "half day" in September!!.:bluThinki

Best advice: take no notice of F.C. website for now. Just follow Erics link and work from that.

Regards
Steve

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I have a question as I am thinking of doing something similar near to me. Do you have any public liability insurance or such like? This is the one area that concerns me due to the current trend towards suing folk for anything!

rancid badger

I have a question as I am thinking of doing something similar near to me. Do you have any public liability insurance or such like? This is the one area that concerns me due to the current trend towards suing folk for anything!

Oh yes-everything we do is covered by either forestry commission or F.o.C.W. insurance.

It took an age to get the "friends" to clarify the insurance situation, they insure through B.T.C.V. as a charitable organisation. Once they realised that we weren't just dabbling, they sorted it out. I wouldn't dream of running anything, anywhere, without sound cover because, as you say; people get sued for the slightest thing these days.
Basically we work under the cover of either or both of the above.
It's a swine getting personal public liability insurance unless your self employed or so I have found anyway.

what sort of event have you in mind spam?

Cheers
Steve

rancid badger

It looks like the F.C. have stuffed the advertising side of things for the march event!!!:aargh4:

One of the problems is that we keep having changes of staff and each time we get a new body, we have problems like this.

Just in case there is anyone who would like to come along on 02 march, there are still plenty of places available-due, as I say, mainly to F.C. cocking up the p.r.:slap:

We managed to get some decent coverage in the local rags ourselves but it's usually the F.C. publicity that pulls in the bodies.

It would be a great opportunity to meet a few from here, ok it'll cost you £30 but that's a charitable donation and who know's?, you might fancy sticking around and helping out with other tasks and events.

Best wishes
R.B.

rowen

Jul 8, 2004
Derbyshire
Are there any campsites nearby, i would like to come but its a bit of a drive and a overnight stay would make it possible - Russ

rancid badger

Are there any campsites nearby, i would like to come but its a bit of a drive and a overnight stay would make it possible - Russ

I can make enquiries for you, we were actually thinking of over-nighting ourselves on site as we have to setup odds and ends the night before and some of our team have no transport. I'll see what I can do and get back to you as soon as I can.

There would be no charge for putting up with us overnight by the way!

regards
R.B.

rancid badger

Ok Russ, Ive dug around a bit and all I can find that's handy is the Derwent Park Caravan & Camping site at Rowlands Gill. It's run by the council and opens on 1st March-no idea what the charges are but it's maximum 2 man tent only to deter lager louts etc. spoke to the woman that runs it, earlier on and she seemed surprised anyone was interested this early in the year! anyway the contact number is 01207 543383.

If you fancy a B&B instead, then the only one I know of round here is the Wensley Guest House at Rowlands Gill, We have a little experience of this one as we bought a charcoal kiln a few years back and the chap who brought it up stayed there and said it was very good.
you can contact this one on 01207 543884.

plans for us camping have come to nought as yet.

Hope this helps, as we are currently looking at the instructors outnumbering the students due to F.C. cock ups:confused:
whatever happens it's going ahead regardless!!!

Best wishes
Steve

rowen

Jul 8, 2004
Derbyshire
Thanks for making enquires for me, i will have a chat with a friend and work considering i will try and make it.

Thanks again Steve - Russ

rancid badger

just a quickie mr rancid could you give me an insight into the itinary of the activities at chopwell please,many thanks

hmm quite like that:D

Well you can get full details from the F.o.C.W. website but seeing as you asked:
02 march 2008 ( mothers day!) Tenderfoot event
We start at 9:30am and finish at 4:30pm.
We will cover;
debris shelter building, tree and plant recognition, uses of natural materials available, some basic natural cordage, barks and resins, general woodland safety, safe tool and knife handling, firelighting and management and, the piece of resistance: Eric Methven will be doing a tutorial on "stick & string" camp stools.

you have to book through the forestry commission at hamsterly forest as this is now the central booking office. you can get them on 01388 488312

we have a spring forager in May and a bark container workshop in June. We also have a couple of family half days booked in for the summer.

all funds raised go to help our conservation/recreation/education activities as well as general stuff like paths and gates etc.

thanks for asking

cheers
R.B.

rancid badger

Just a word to say that our first event is now completely booked up-despite worries about publicity!-
Many thanks to Tony and team for their support and to everyone on here who took the time to take a look.

I sincerely hope to see one or two of you on the day.

Cheers
Steve

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE