headlights for 4 eyed folk

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cbkernow

Forager
Jun 18, 2009
cornwall
hi all, as a Scouter, I spend a lot of camping and would never go away without a trusty head torch.

I used to rock an old school petzl: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PETZL-ZOOM-HA...ing_LightsLanternsTorches&hash=item3a5a1eae5e

and more recently have been using an energiser 6 led torch which is great, bright, long battery life comfy. But as a specs wearer I find I get a reflection across the top of my glasses.

So I'm looking around for headtorches and I see the alpkit seems very popular, do any of you alpkit users wear glasses?
or any other recomendations for spec friendly torches?

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
...recomendations for spec friendly torches?

My two head torches aren't bad, unfortunately this photograph is:

http://www.jubileegroup.co.uk/JOS/misc/dscf2938.jpg

The longer one is made by 'Gelert'. 3xAAA. LEDs (two) only.
Pro: It has a peg you that can use to clip onto things as well as using the head band. The switch is a twisting action so it won't get switched on accidentally in your pack.
Con: It isn't very bright and it does stick out a bit.

The shorter one is made by 'Ring'. 3xAAA. LEDs (two or three) and filament lamp.
Pro: It's brighter and it doesn't stick out so much.
Con: It's often switched on by accident. Single pushbutton switch cycles through two or three LEDs and filament lamp. It can't do one LED which seems silly.

HTH

use a Petzel Tikka thats quite good and small

also a Freedom Micro key ring torch it comes with a magnetic clip that looks fragile and useless but is actually very usefull I clip it to my neck knife lanyard or shirt pocket or Hammock or any where etc the clip swivels so you can set it for any task from walking to reading or eating etc
its a small LED light so not going to iluminate the world but plenty for most tasks at hand and you dont Blind your mate when you look up

ATB

Duncan

Ph34r

Settler
Feb 2, 2010
Oxfordshire, England
I use the pezl e+ light. They are very small, and give a brilliant light. They also have an immense battery life, and come in a waterproof case. At £25 you cant do badly.

hurplegrappers

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2010
R.C.T. South Wales
I've been through loads of cheapo head torches. I recently splashed out on a Primus PrimeLite Plus. It's awesome..

As the old saying goes: "You get what you pay for" :)

PrimeLiteD1.jpg

Trev

Nomad
Mar 4, 2010
Northwich Cheshire
Heyho ,
No idea if this is of any use at all , not sure if moving the light source further forward reduces glare or not .
cap light
If it doesn't work at least it should amuse , especially as your captorch can be camouflage
Cheers Trev .

Tenderfoot
Dec 9, 2009
england
and more recently have been using an energiser 6 led torch which is great, bright, long battery life comfy. But as a specs wearer I find I get a reflection across the top of my glasses.

hi, i have a 6 led energizer head torch too, and its not just because you have glasses that you get glare (your glasses may contribute to it even more though)
its the only thing i have found wrong with it, otherwise its a brilliant head torch, its the shape of the torch (the dome shape bends the light down a fraction, which hits your nose and gives you glare) ive found if you wear it as high as you can on your forehead and tilt it forward it helps (this will depend on the shape of your head somewhat) or you could wear it over a cap so the peak eliminates the problem

if you decide to buy another torch, i would of thought one that sticks out a tad more would be a better option, so it clears your glasses

cbkernow

Forager
Jun 18, 2009
cornwall
I went with an alpkit headlight in the end, seems pretty good so far, will try it out "in anger" for the first time this weekend on our Scout "jungle camp"

cbkernow

Forager
Jun 18, 2009
cornwall
used it this weekend for the first time (well apart from pottering around) and it was fantastic, easy on and off (turns straight off from any mode wihtout cycling through), comfy and ever so bright indeed.

Linden

Dec 1, 2009
Hampshire
I've had no problems wearing my alpkit torch, no glare off it. However, I've just found the battery casing twisty bit has broken, so it wont close at all. fixed with string, buts its going to be a pain when I have to change the batteries. Have had it over 18 months.

leon-1

used it this weekend for the first time (well apart from pottering around) and it was fantastic, easy on and off (turns straight off from any mode wihtout cycling through), comfy and ever so bright indeed.

For the price (£12.50 delivered inclusive of batteries) the gamma is an absolute bargain. I have had one for a while now and have had no complaints with it.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Well I have a Black Diamond 1watt main led with 3 x 0.5watt LEDs below it (not sure of model cosmic or spot or something) and it really goes on for ever. I have walked for 20 plus hours with it on highest setting and also used it on the 3 LEDs on full power for wild camps and around the house for probably 3 years now on the same set of batteries. I can't believe how long they are lasting. Plus on full spot iit shines over 50m (IIRC it only says it lights up to 36m).

I also have a primus one which is uber bright and powerful. blurb says 125m on full beam. I can honestly say I lit up the hillside opposite us once that was probably over 400m! I am not kidding. It practically burns the ground in front of you its that powerful. It also has lower power settings in the single LED. The remote battery pack is good in winter for prolonging winter power. It is however overkill for most uses. I think it is the Racelite one. The batteries lasted about 20 hours I think. longer than the blurb. I use it on lowest setting for walking at night then put full power on to spot the stiles on the opposite side of the field so we can walk straight there reathere than bearing off and handrailing back to the stile on each field. It is also good to burn thee retinas off your walking buddies at night! :D

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Nearly forgot what I really wanted to post. That is some people recommend wearing head torches around the neck. Apparently it helps to keep your night vision up but still lights the way. Never tried it for real but that technique could help with glare. The other thing to try with the old torch is to put it on upside down if poss that way the housing issue causing glare could be prevented by directing the light slightly up if you follow me.

Anyway you now have the alpkit one so no problem now.

J4C3

Forager
Apr 11, 2010
Derbyshire
When around camp you can slip it over your boot and around your ankle,this lights the way as you walk and dont ruin vision,sounds a bit daft but works

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE