Headbands?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Does a wool headband have a place amongst your kit?

Lars+Monsen+Larsmonsen.jpg

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I too am a Buff man and have been known to look even more foolish than normal by wearing it as a headband....
Not a good look for me - but it is very practical!

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Well, I probably dont have half as many buffs as you John, great things, but what about the under represented headband!

I might buy one, I reckon it'll come in handy.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Yup, got loads of em. As a long haired grease ball biker they part of the uniform and very handy for keeping said hair out of me mush

they are also good temperature control items.
as a head band for keeping the wind off your ears and giving a bit of insulation to your noggin while still allowing It too breathe during hard work, then when you stop you can slip it down around yer neck and put a full hat on.....great item

My preference is for a standard buff, merino buff, and if its really cold, a polish army wool snood

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
They are also good temperature control items.
as a head band for keeping the wind off your ears and giving a bit of insulation to your noggin while still allowing It too breathe during hard work

Yeh this is why.

The bleedin buff headbands are basically the same price as the actual buff!
http://www.sportsdirect.com/buff-headband-53-440014?colcode=44001491

Ive ordered one of these:

Dale of Norway celebrates its 135 year anniversary with a new design that is inspired by the 1958 Alpine World Ski Championship sweater, originally designed for the Norwegian ski team. This headband is 100% wool and is fully lined with extra-fine Merino.

25531_g_me.jpg

Mmmm, there is the potential I could look a complete T*** in it....

Last edited:

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Ah sorry, you just meant actual headbands

Yeah got a couple of those too. the large'ish fleece one i'v got i never use, foolishly bought one with a velcro fastening and it just snags on me locks and never seems to stay in place, if you pull it down around yer gregory the velcro irritates the life out of you. The buff brand one would probably be better

I'v got a really thin one which is purely a hair control item for when its too warm for anything else.......remind me again why i have long hair :rolleyes: :D

So, for me you may as well just stick to a buff. Does the same job for the same money but not as versatile

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Ah sorry, you just meant actual headbands

Yeah got a couple of those too. the large'ish fleece one i'v got i never use, foolishly bought one with a velcro fastening and it just snags on me locks and never seems to stay in place, if you pull it down around yer gregory the velcro irritates the life out of you. The buff brand one would probably be better

I'v got a really thin one which is purely a hair control item for when its too warm for anything else.......remind me again why i have long hair :rolleyes: :D

So, for me you may as well just stick to a buff. Does the same job for the same money but not as versatile

If its good enough for Lars....

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
If its good enough for Lars....

Go on?

To be fair the pic you posted above looks a better bet than a buff type headband. personally still prefer a snood though, its all preference of course.....lars must think the GB outdoor is a great axe, i disagree :D

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
The piccy sunndog is of Lars Monsen, not Lars Falt, buddy. :)

I just hope I dont look like Im going for a jog with mad lizzy in 1983.

Last edited:

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I did mean the pic of the green and white head band rather than the one of mr monsen

More importantly though, i'd not heard of lars monsen before. Just watched a few bits of his vids on youtube......i'll sure be watching some more them, cheers fella :cool:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Well, I probably dont have half as many buffs as you John, great things, but what about the under represented headband!

I might buy one, I reckon it'll come in handy.

I have tried the dedicated headband but prefer the versitility of the standard tube type Buff - especially the Merino Buff :)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Things here only seem to go wrong on the very coldest days of winter ( -20C - -30C ). Must rug up for the simplest of tasks (swapping out truck batteries, etc).
While I prefer the Peruvian style wool hat with ear flaps, the so-called headband does a great job of preventing your ears from freezing.
Once badly frozen (healed, the peeling stops, etc,) you will discover that your ears are very easily frozen in future.

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
I'm definitely another Buff user; too many I think but they're so versatile. The polar ones are pretty toasty, yet to purchase a merino one though.
Anyone use bandanas? I use them for kerchiefs and have done since the late 80's when it was a fashion item!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Cotton bandanas have no place in the cold. Would not dream of using one.
Merino wool. 1/2 - 1" thick. Really soft, puffy knit. I have the coat (Eddie Bauer Blizzard)
and the pants (Oxygen Snow) and the boots (Tork Snowmachine). Gloves are reflective selfheaters
by Tork. The manual dexterity is impressive. Then you have to put a hard, hard wind shell over the outside.
NatGear SnowCamo, 4X large.
You know? It's not so bad to have to do dumb crap outside in a -30C blizzard when you can come into the house
not feeling the cold. I am better dressed (at 65+) than I have ever been in my life and I like it.

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
Ive got 3 real buffs and 7 false ones stashed over the place

i often use a pair of merinos as gloves

a pair of merinos is best for versitility i found, as gloevs as mentioned, doubling up for a vvery snug hat, and the old hat and scarf/balaclava combo.

not sure if someone else mentioned but in the summer i often use one ( stndard buff) to keep cool by simply soaking in water to let it evaporate, works wonders for a quick bit of cool during glasto festival when im working in the sun

the fake ones are often too tight for my head not enough give which causes headaches after a bit, they tend to be just stashed around for emergencies or used as hankies

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
I too own a Merino Buff but only wear it as a headband on hillwaks in winter(Also when no one is around). Carrying a Bergen and wearing a hat usually makes me hot so a headband is a good alternative.

Also : What is it with Blokes and Headgear, What ever I wear Buff, Cap or Bucket/Bush hat I look riidiculous in

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE