Hazels/beech/Chequers

Mang

Settler
I noticed that the Hazel trees near me had a bumper crop this year and, as with a lot of natural things, largely went unnoticed. I was more than a little disappointed with those collected since the majority were brown and spongey...Did anyone else find this? :yuck:

Also, I've only ever found one decent Beechnut ever-Is a crop of these a myth or do the squirrels get the best and laugh in our faces?

Finally, whilst walking with the family in local woods I found three Wild Service trees (like you do) and some reachable chequers. I tried them and they tatsed somewhere between mincemeat (as in mince pie filling) and an apple just on the turn. Is this the true aquired taste of them or did I just get old ones? :dunno:

Ben_Hillwalker

Forager
Sep 19, 2005
Surrey
I had a bit of luck with hazelnuts this year as well. They were fine for me although maybe a little soft.

As for the beechmast, beeches only sporadically produce them (something like once every 7 years but don't quote me on that) so you may not find a lot unless you thoroughly check a good stand of beech trees.

'Fraid I can't help you with the chequers although I believe they are best when harvested very VERY late.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Ruddy bushy tailed tree rats had almost the entire crop off my hazels!
Wife will not let me shoot the little b*ggers either:banghead:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE