Hazelnuts..........too early?

calibanzwei

Settler
Jan 7, 2009
Warrington, UK
Hazelnuts are fairly prolific round my way and I plan to get a few for myself before the squirrels gobble the lot, the best way being to develop a taste for the 'milky' qualities they have whilst their still young I've heard - how early is early? Now? At what point in their development are they 'safe' to consume?

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Crack one open and see if there is a nut in it. if not wait.

Hazelnuts are more allergenic very fresh. Some countries where hazelnuts are collected and munched the same way we do blackberries, tell parents not to feed the raw fresh nuts to under fives. Roasted or dry nuts are better.

calibanzwei

Settler
Jan 7, 2009
Warrington, UK
Cheers - so the definition of 'nut' would be when the meat separates from the shell.......to early then at the moment, just cracked one open (definite crack though!)

Hmmmm, didn't know about the allergenic bit when green, but I love them when they are green and the nut bit has swelled and taken up most of the white pithy bit, they have that lovely green crunch to them.

Happy childhood memories using my teeth to crack them, nowadays have to make sure it's the nut that's cracked, not my teeth........

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE