Hazard 4 Poncho Villa - AVOID!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

-Zen-

Jan 1, 2013
Glasgow
Hi everyone,

So a few months ago I bought a Hazard 4 Poncho Villa in khaki. I enjoy wearing ponchos and thought it worth my cash to splurge out on a premium item with some advanced features like stretchy/breathable material, lots of adjustable points and good quality poppers and grommets. When it arrived I was blown away with how well made the item was and the use of jacket material usually found on medium-to-high-end snow and rain garments. Other than being a tad heavy and the stuff pocket being a little large (I contemplated a compression sack as it can pack down much smaller than this) it looked excellent.

Well a few days ago I got to use it for the first time while my friend and I were in a glen in the north Trossachs and it started to rain fairly heavily. Naturally the poncho got thrown on and we continued on our way. Cue one hour later, when we arrived at our camp and I took it off to set it up as a tarp, only to notice that the poncho was saturated at certain points and was actually holding water rather than deflecting it. We had to make do hunkering under my friend's DD 3x3 tarp and it was then that I noticed that my shirt was damp and my Rush 24 was soaking in moisture at certain points.

Basically put, after an hour of rain the garment became almost completely useless. What use is a poncho if it can't even perform it's primary use? As of now, three days later, the poncho is still hung above my bath with water permeated at certain points. I've sent a stern email to Hazard 4 to check whether I have a dud or if this is an example of the overall quality of their gear. I was seriously disappointed and I am now outwith the return window and so I can't return it. My £19 Helikon poncho performed bucketloads better than this.

I imagine that it will still be under H4's warranty window as it was bought from a UK-based official dealer, so we'll see what they say to my email first.

More details once H4 get back to me.

Cheers,

Zen

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
I would be thoroughly peeved and making a formal complaint. Manufacturer's warranty notwithstanding, UK sales regulations say that something must be fit for purpose and often the time scales under which that can be claimed are a lot longer than the official warranty, so it's worth trying. Use the words "not fit for purpose" in your complaint.

Last edited:

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
as I am a poncho virgin so I have no idea... but I am interest in purchasing a poncho, this is the poncho that I fancy the Dutch army poncho http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dutch-Army-poncho-/291398884281?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item43d8ba1bb9 It's super grade (new unissued) got studs on to make sleeves, its camo, anti flapping drawstrings at the waist eyelets for shelter building, its got the lot & reasonably priced? I fear Reading reviews on the Dutch army poncho may push me towards a hasty purchase & an unnecessary a confrontation with the wife. I shall overcome...

Last edited:

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
"Water resistant" material, not waterproof; I can see that being their get out clause. I'd expect a LOT more for the money you paid.

I have to politely disagree with badger to the contrary in the link sandbender posted does suggest it is 100% waterproof?

edit:~ although if you want to be pedantic I guess you could argue this only applies to the fully taped seams.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
So, to recap.

You spent an hour, outside, in heavy rain, under a 'softshell' poncho.

Which is advertised as 'water resistant'.

And you got a bit damp.

Have I missed any vital information?

:lmao:

-Zen-

Jan 1, 2013
Glasgow
I reckon that is their get-out-of-jail-free card; they never claim the entire item to be 100% waterproof and that the material itself is just labeled as 'water-resistant'.

Nonetheless, for the price they sell the garment at you'd expect a lot more R&D. I'd actually have been happier with the same design but a better choice of material. I probably should have expected better as they haven't ventured into waterproofs before but I thought I was paying for a premium item and instead I've been left with a dent in my wallet and a useless item.

As I mentioned, if this isn't a one-off from Hazard 4, the poncho shouldn't have passed development and seen the light of day in it's current guise.

-Zen-

Jan 1, 2013
Glasgow
So, to recap.

You spent an hour, outside, in heavy rain, under a 'softshell' poncho.

Which is advertised as 'water resistant'.

And you got a bit damp.

Have I missed any vital information?

:lmao:

I have two softshell ponchos from Helikon-Tex that have survived rainstorms and been completely leak proof after constant heavy rain over a period of days, both worn and used as a tarp. Regardless of your thoughts on the situation I'd be hard pressed to believe that you would buy a rain poncho and expect it take on water rather than shed/resist it?

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
I have to politely disagree with badger to the contrary in the link sandbedder posted does suggest it is 100% waterproof?

edit:~ although if you want to be pedantic I guess you could argue this only applies to the fully taped seams.

Yep, I'd be pedantic, because that how they will look at it if they want to wiggle out of it.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Before we drag the company through the mire perhaps we should wait and see how they respond? It may be the DWR on this one wasn't applied properly.

Either way - at least give them a chance before a lynching is organised

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
I have two softshell ponchos from Helikon-Tex that have survived rainstorms and been completely leak proof after constant heavy rain over a period of days, both worn and used as a tarp.

I cant find soft shell ponchos by Helikon-Tex. Their soft shell jackets are "water resistant treated material". But, back to your problem; on Hazards website, no where in its description does it say suitable for rain, although you would say that it was a given. Where it implies it is suitable, is in the Advantages of ponchos V jackets tab; but they are generalisation's and specific to the product.

Your saving grace, is that if you bought it from a online retailer in Manchester, they do have the complete description with the poncho and not as a generalisation. So as mentioned above, get them on a not fit for purpose argument.

Edit, I'm not chasing a lynching, just giving him a potential discussion point in his dealings with them, and I know you meant it generally.

Last edited:

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
If you have no joy getting a refund or replacement, let me know if you want to move it on. I think it would work well on my electric wheelchair. Often it's a small shower that can quickly ruin my day.

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
On reflection me thinks Pedantically then I have to agree badger I have to conclude that you are absolutely right there is defo wiggle room! for escape-age His only defense maybe false advertising through misdirection & stating the garment is not fit for purpose! & also give them as much bad press as possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
It might not look as cool but my old 58 pattern poncho cost me about £15 and has kept me dry with an ocean falling on my head on more than one occasion.

If the supplier doesn't sort you out with a working poncho you will find one that'll do the job for much less.

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
This thread reminds me of the one about the shoes that wore out.

Which was a lot like the Triggers broom sketch :)

If the exam question is 'How waterproof is a softshell poncho?' ...

... then the correct answer is 'Not very' ...

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
I like ponchos as they allow ventilation for moisture, even though they can be made from pvc. I reccon it's probably not been treated. 3 layer goretex leaks if untreated!

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Isn't the whole point of a Poncho to keep you dry? therefore a poncho that doesn't isn't fit for purpose?

I agree about waiting to see what they say, but it sounds very not fit for purpose.

J

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
Isn't the whole point of a Poncho to keep you dry? therefore a poncho that doesn't isn't fit for purpose?

I agree about waiting to see what they say, but it sounds very not fit for purpose.

J
Depends what the material is made out of. For instance if a high street retailer sold a cotton poncho, would you expect it to be suitable for wet weather, because a lot have sold them as fashion items. Its made for a Californian company; was it made to meet their climate or ours, or as an outdoors fashion item? Look at the name, Poncho Villa; my first thought when I saw the name was it a play on words with Pancho Villa.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE